Diagnose column distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnose column distortion

When sewing out center line columns, I'm getting a skipped or maybe it's a super tight stitch (appears that maybe bobbin is being pulled up) every 1/8 of an inch! This is happening on several needles, but not all. Is there a part worn out, a timing issue. It is not a needle issue (changed them, inspected them). We tested with a simple center line column because the design was giving us so much trouble. Several days ago, this machine experienced a couple of episodes where you get the loud clicking when the needle case moves. Hope nothing got damaged. Help!

What type of bobbin is being used? If it's paper-sided; see if it isn't jerking- sometimes the cardboard is just not cut right; and, of course, make sure the bobbin case, hook and race are all clean and well lubricated. After that, we could start looking at thread feed issues...
    Gregory

Comment

Thanks for replying gcannon. I am using magna glide bobbins, sewing a straight center line column (not in a design - just programmed it for a test) all needles sew out with a definite distortion every 1/8 inch. I have, of course, checked tension, foreign matter in the bobbin area, needles, lubrication - it is on Actifeed for the test but tried several settings on thread feed during design sew out. Nothing seemed to have an effect. Whatever it is, it seems to have caused regular upper thread breaks during the fill sew outs on the design. Got so tired of re-threading!!!

Comment

If it is that consistant Your Cables that move your hoop may need adjusting.

I had to adjust a machine last month and it had a similar issue.

If they get loose they can cause this.

for what it's worth.
        [email protected]
        Jerome in Minnesota
        (320)259-1151

Comment

Can you do this yourself or does it require a tech visit?

Comment

Get a tech out... it would be a royal pain to do yourself... It's a quick fix though.
            John Yaglenski
            Amayausers.com - Webmaster
            Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
            Hilton Head Island, SC
            http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

you would need the tension gauge. It is not hard to check with the right equiptment. But in most cases it would involve a tech visit.
              [email protected]
              Jerome in Minnesota
              (320)259-1151

Comment

It sounds like your thread feed drive gear is cracked. Easy Fix, you can do it yourself. Take apart the upper clam shell covers behind the needle case. You will see a single white plastic drive gear. Laser Up Arrow will advance the threadfeed. You will be able to see the gear wobble in and out of engagement from the threadfeed assembly. You will need a precision small pliers for retaining clips in order to get it off. When you order the gear make sure you also order a couple spare clips, you will loose and/or bend them. Don't forget to grease the inside of the gear with Polymer. To get the gear out you can either order a Fixture (Recommmended) or you can remove the circuit board directly above the gear. If you choose to remove the circuit board make sure you mark exactly where the board is before you remove it. The board can be adjusted front to back to center the drive gear to the thread feed assembly. Good Luck !!!

TJ.
                Melco Certified Amaya Tech

Comment

Easy is a relative term TJ. Most people on this list wouldn't want to mess with that sort of thing. If you're mechanically inclined or like taking things apart.... that's another story.
                  John Yaglenski
                  Hilton Head Island, SC

Comment

I had to do this myself once and it is NOT an easy fix even for someone mechanically gifted. The hardest part for me was the o-ring. It's not like the standard o-rings and the tool that works with most, doesn't with the o-rings on this part of the gear. I have since done it again by myself. Home Depot and Lowes never saw an o-ring like this, and their tools were of no help. The old neighborhood hardware store had an antique clamp-tool that sort of worked, but even the owner took about half an hour just trying to get it back on right. It is certainly do-able, but prepare to be frustrated for a little while and then just take your time ... give yourself a few hours or more and use the correct thread locker (red tube). This is one of the reasons why I now have a maintenance agreement with Melco.

Comment

Golly gee guys - what a load of information. My "handy" husband is going to read it all and see if he feels like tackling it. I have another machine to work with thankfully. You have been a great help!! twinsmom

Comment

Twinsmom,
                        It may be your thread feeder gear as previously mentioned.
                        It can also be a whole bunch of other, possibly simpler problems.
                        For starters,I've noticed a recurring issue with bobblins. they are occasionally over wound and requires that you remove about 10 or 15 feet(No John Y, I didn't measure it! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                        Upper Thread,is the tube sticking out of the top of the spool at least an inch? More would be better.
                        Is the upper thread "bruised?
                        How about the software? If you are running in the auto mode do you have your Auto feed lower limit set high enough for the fabric and backing thickness?
                        If all the above check out then you may have a cracked feeder gear.
                        I don't regularly disagree with other techs suggestions but I would certainly not recommend removing the thread feeder pcb to replace the gear.It has no affect on the removal or installation of the gear.

I do agree with the recommendation of ordering the special tool to remove the gear shaftas well as ordering 2 or more of PART #10454-03 this is the retaining clip, and can be lost bent out of shape when removing and installing it.

I purchased my e-clip tool at Sears. Bring the part with you to the store and I'm sure you will find the right pair.

If you have any questions , Feel free to call me. I'll be happy to help.

Hugo Torbidoni
                        MelcoTech
                        301-471-3157

M
                        Hugo Torbidoni<br />HT Embroidery & Machine Repair<br />Certified Melco Technician<br />301-471-3157

Comment

LOL Hugo - call me when you get a chance. Phone number (new one) is on the website. Been meaning to have you over and smoke a cigar or two [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          John Yaglenski
                          Hilton Head Island, SC

Comment

I do have a thread feed gear that is cracked. I ordered all the parts to repair except (I think) for the special tool to remove the gear. What part number (or description) is that. I really appreciate all the responses. EEAmayaTech refers to it as a "Fixture". Thanks, again, twinsmom.

Comment

Working...
                            X