Thread breaks - bobbin problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread breaks - bobbin problem?

I am having lots of thread breaks...i have tried different designs, needles, adjusting actifeed, adjusted tension on bobbin case, etc. and still having lots of thread breaks and false bobbin breaks on everything. I ran out of my Coats cardboard bobbins that were recommended at training several weeks ago and that is about when this started...probably total coincidence, but that is what I am blaming right now! I had to run to a local sewing store to get bobbin and have the plastic sided now. Has anyone had trouble with these? Is this a much bigger machine issue? I hope not! Any ideas to try?
    Thanks so much!

You don't mention presser foot tension, that is a real critical factor in thread and bobbin breaks...just getting that right can solve a lot of problems. Actifeed is automatic, you don't set it...
    if you can set up and run the big 'test' pattern that will show you right off what problems are if you have a tech to run it. I think it's called Ampass or something? Our tech runs it everytime he comes up for a yearly checkup.

Comment

Several weeks??? I doubt that your issues are because of "plastic sided" bobbins. You did not say what brand of plastic sided bobbins you are now using. We use NEBS clear plastic sided and have 0, read that ZERO issues with them.

Melco has always used the Coates...why, probably the same reason they used ARC thread, got a better deal on it in the financial end of the business, definitly not because they are "better" than the rest. Mostly it comes down to personal preference. As I said we use NEBS because there is no lint buildup and they run flawlessly for us, so we won't be changing any time soon.

Back to several weeks.....Lubrication of the machine is critical and that is the first place I would direct you to tackle first. Do a "complete" lubrication of the machine. The pinch rollers and the threadfeed rollers, needlebars, rotary hook and reciprocator especially need more lubrication than the timers indicate depending of the environment the machine lives in. The trimmer system also needs cleaned on a regular basis.

Check all of your machine settings. Are you using Standard or Auto acti-feed? If the latter, what is the "Auto lower limit" set to?

Backing? I hope you are not using tear-a-way as your primary backing....

Hooping? Must be taut, loose floppy hooping is not allowed....

PRESSER FOOT height??? 99% of your sewing will be done with the presser foot all the way down and up either 1 or two clicks. Having the presser foot too high is a sure way to have serious threadbreak issues....

Rod Springer
      Amaya Tech & Trainer
      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Was it a local "sewing store" or a store that specializes in high speed machine embroidery?

What kind of bobbins are they?

NEBS work great - we also use AllStitch.com for bobbins and they work just fine.
        John Yaglenski
        Amayausers.com - Webmaster
        Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
        Hilton Head Island, SC
        http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Thank you for all of the input...it just seemed that this started happening when I switched to a different bobbin, then when I found an old one to use I was stitching fine, it ran out and problems again. I am in the process of doing a complete lubrication and hope that that will work! I have a large box of these bobbins to use (I did get them from an emb store)- i am not sure of the brand, will check with the store.
          Hooping and backing have not been the problem.

Thanks again!

Comment

There is such a thing as bad bobbins - even from good companies. Throw out the bad bobbin and try another one. And Keep trying until you get a good one. Welcome to the world of embroidery.

Juli
            Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Working...
            X