Not trimming thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not trimming thread

Good Morning, I am new to this group and embroidery. I recently purchased a 2002 Amaya. I am having a problem with the trimmer not cutting thread. I have inspected and cleaned all parts and trimmer test shows that it appears fine mechanically. Most info I can find is for the newer knife system. Can someone tell me if there is a knife adjustment that I am missing. It is not cutting top thread nor is it cutting bobbin thread on completion of sewing. Thanks for any help

Would also appreciate info on any Techs in Michigan. Thanks

Comment

Do you have the Parts & Tech CD that came with the machine when it was new? The procedure is described, but it is not the easiest adjustment for a beginner to accomplish.

Did you remove the upper knife at any time? That will usually get most folks into immediate trouble. There are two small set screws that are used to tilt the upper knife blade so that it properly addresses the lower moveable knife as it swipes underneath. A presser spring is also an integral critically important part of this trimmer system. The adjustment of the small set screws is one of those things where if you thought you felt it move, you moved it too far. It is a very sensitive touchy feel-ly adjustment to set one of these things correctly..

The Tech CD describes a test called the swipe test. You paint the top side of the lower moveable knife/selector with a magic marker and when the knife can swipe the ink off cleanly over the entire surface with the proper downward tension, the trimmer will/should cut thread. This, of course, is dependent on whether or not the presser spring and knives are in good condition and the knives are sharp to start with.

As far as a tech in MI....check melco university.com . Certified Melco Trainers and Techs are listed there.

Rod Springer
      Amaya ech & Trainer
      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have the parts cd but it does not include a Tech manual. I found the one on Melco but obviously it is for the XT, so no help there.

I just got the machine and as far as I know the upper knife blade was never removed till I inspected it yesterday. Blade is sharp (machine didn't have any hours on it), there was no dirt or dust. I had a new presser spring so I replaced that. I didn't make any other adjustments but assumed from the parts manual that the set screws were probably my only adjustment. I will do the swipe test and see what I get.

Thanks again and I will let you know how I make out.

Comment

Thanks for your help Rod. After doing the swipe test I could see that the cutter wasn't stoking all the way. I adjusted stepper motor and it is cutting fine now. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X