Patch making for a New Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch making for a New Guy

After the run around with my supplier about what backing to use, I figure I'll post here and see what people are using and where they are getting it. I have a customer who want custom patches on cotton twill. I have contacted my embroidery supplier and they tell me there is only one backing thickness and it is 2.5. My customer brought me a patch and the backing is thicker and seems to be made for that use. I've only been at this a few months and am amazed at how little I knew before I picked up my XT and XTS. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I always use felt as a backing. Holds tremendous stitch counts. Comes in a variety of colors. Doesn't ravel. The stuff at JoAnns is made in USA from recycled plastic bottles. My motorcycle clubs keep coming back, so it must be good!

Comment

Originally posted by Judy View Post
      I always use felt as a backing. Holds tremendous stitch counts. Comes in a variety of colors. Doesn't ravel. The stuff at JoAnns is made in USA from recycled plastic bottles. My motorcycle clubs keep coming back, so it must be good!
      Thanks, Judy, they are insisting on cotton twill backing. I've done felt with satin borders.

Comment

Put the felt behind the cotton twill.

Comment

You wouldn't happen to know which cotton twill would work the best?

Comment

The heavier the better. Twill and denim are similar in that they both have diagonal weave. Twill fabric is typically all one color thread, while denim has the white warp thread and the blue weft threads. In white denim, it is probably all the same color, so will look a lot like twill but be heavier. You'll have to do a sample and run it past your people.

Comment

Working...
            X