X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scales

How do I make a fill look like scales?
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

I would appreciate a little encouragement here. Hasn't anyone done fancy fills? I can't even find anything in the book or in Help.

Juli in Kona
    DS Pro Plus

Comment

Juli,

Once you change your lettering to a Fill, then go in to properties - Top Stitching - and change the fill to scales. Hope this helps.
      Janet

Comment

It's not lettering. It is the body of a dragon.

Comment

Juli,

I have an old program called Fast Fills that has a lot of patterns for expanded embroidery files (I used exp). Email me and I'll send you a quick sample. I'm looking for a pdf of the different patterns.

Dorothy ([email protected])
          Dorothy Compton, Owner<br />Bee Embroidered<br /><a href=\"http://www.BeeEmbroidered.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.BeeEmbroidered.com</a><br />(916) 635-7467

Comment

Juli,

Hilite the element you want in the project tree...needs to have a fill property or be converted to a fill...right click on it and go into Properties, at the bottom of the display page select the "Pattern Fill" and in the menu select "Scales". You will see a set of little boxes show up in the pattern...with these you can change the angle and "look" of the scales.....play with it and you will see what I mean...

Rod Springer
            Amaya Tech & Trainer
            Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

A dragon! that sounds fun.
              I'm not at my DS computer and I have a dinsosaur version of DS but... when I have created a fill shape, I click Properties for that element then the Fill tab. There should be a drop-down menu called Fill Type - select Pattern. A new drop-down menu will appear (on mine it's right below the Stitch Type menu) called Pattern. You can preview and select from any of the patterns that came with your program. So if scales is one of them, just select it.

It's actually fun and pretty easy to create and/or edit your own patterns. Look under Help&gt;Pattern Fills&gt;Create Pattern Fills for a quick how-to. You can also edit existing patterns (for example if the scales are not the size you want) under Edit Pattern Fills. These functions are both under the Custom menu at the top of my screen.

You might also want to play with some of the fill Effects to get some curve into the pattern or make the size of the scales increase from the neck down. If you have the time, it can look really great. Of course, you'll have run lots of test sew-outs until you get the hang of things.

Comment

What I have done for fish scales is to lay down my basic color then on top of that I put a black fill with a high density then I duplicate that fill but change the direction of the stitching. Really works great for fish. Hope this makes sense

Comment

Working...
                X