Ceramic Coated Needles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic Coated Needles?

Has anyone used ceramic coated needles? I'm having issues with the needles we're currently using because the tips keep breaking and cutting shirts. The tiniest little bit of the needle tip breaks off and continues to stitch despite being broken - it's not broken to the eye, so it doesn't know to stop.

The fabric is a fine knit (adidas polo shirts), we're currently using ball point 70's, and we can't figure out why our shirts are looking like swiss cheese!! We've tried other things like stitching slower, changing backings, solvie, no solvie, brand new needles, but still holes. I heard about ceramic needles a while ago and I was wondering if they are a stronger needle that wouldn't break so easily.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Embroidery

Embroidery Digitizing

T Shirts

Ker....

First thing to do is ask yourself why the needles are breaking in the first place. It is not normal to be breaking needles like this. Have you checked your hook timing? How is the machine trimming, meaning is the needle possibly hitting either the selector or the knife.

How about the needlecase calibration? When you drop a needle to bottom center, is it aligned to the center of the needleplate hole? Try that on the number one needle and then make sure the needle plate is adjusted to the center of the hole, if possible, and then check the other 15 needles to see if ALL of them are centered. If they are not then the needle(s) may be hitting the needleplate and cuasing the breakage you have described. The needlecase will need to be recalibrated to the machine if they are not centered.....

In your case, I don't think stronger needles will be the answer...the needles are impacting something somewhere..

Rod Springer
    Amaya Tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Thank-You

We are having a tech come in next week, so I'll certainly be bringing it up. . .it's happening randomly on 12 different heads and primarily white and black, but on other colors as well. Since it's on mulitple heads I thought we just have cheap-o needles.
      Embroidery

Embroidery Digitizing

T Shirts

Comment

Rod's right, something is wrong. I've never even had a needle break unless I've done something stupid.

Comment

12 different heads? You mean this is happening on more than one machine? How many machines are you running?

What brand of needles are you using and what size? I see you said 70's, but? Also how is the needle orientation? When your tech gets there , tell him that I suggested that he look at the following.......

Hook timings
          Needle orientation
          Needle depths
          Needlecase calibrations
          Trimmer specs
          Remove the retaining support finger and check the face of the finger for burrs, nicks and/or vertical grooves
          pressserfoot heights

Rod Springer
          Amaya Tech & Trainer
          Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

I use titanium ball point needles on polos, works well 75/11bppd

Comment

Working...
            X