Woven shirt is puckering after wash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woven shirt is puckering after wash.

I using a 3.1oz backing on dress shirts.
    It looks good after I take it off the machine, but, after washing it puckers. The shirts are 4.5ox, 55/45. Could the backing be shrinking?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Action Graphics

Do you have a lot of satin stitching?
    If so you may need more underlay to prevent it from pulling when it is washed.

Other then that Guess I would have to see the design.
    [email protected]
    Jerome in Minnesota
    (320)259-1151

Comment

I bought some cutaway backing from AllStitch a few years ago. It has some reinforcing threads going through it. I don't remember what the number was, but I heat pressed something with that backing and had some big time puckering. I tried various heat settings with more plain sheets and it puckered every time. Now I have just about used it up while testing designs.
      David Sklar<br />Ballyhoo!<br />Arlington, VA <br /><a href=\"http://www.ballyhoostore.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ballyhoostore.com</a>

Comment

This is SureStitch and I have a bunch of it.
        I assume it is wet laid. Was using backing from Melco Mart before they closed and don't remember having this problem.
        Action Graphics

Comment

The design is a fill with text on top.
          I've noticed it on other designs also without fill.
          Action Graphics

Comment

If those are Sanmar Easy Care, the shirts themselves shrink pretty bad.

Comment

They are Easy Care. 55/45 shouldn't shrink should it? I didn't suspect the shirt. I have been struggling with polyester polos also. I'm considering my stitch length in fills being too long. I've been using 38-44pts. Is that short enough?

Thanks,
              Mike
              Action Graphics

Comment

The shirts shrink. Try one.

Comment

On the poly polo's consider using a mesh cut away or fusible mesh. Makes a big difference.

Comment

Thanks, will try the mesh cut away.

Maureen, is there a woven line you use that doesn't shrink?

Thanks,
                    Mike
                    Action Graphics

Comment

I usually do only a couple at a time and rinse and dry them first. I would be interested in hearing from other people on which brand is best.

Comment

Your problem may be that you shirts are shrinking 4-5% A 3 oz "wet laid A ' stabilizer shrinks less than 1%.
                        As suggested try the no show nylon mesh (its best for polos anyway) This will give a little (shrinkage is also 3-5%) or you can preshrink the mesh - not the fusible mesh , with steam if you preshrink your shirt. Try it noth ways
                        Also use a tearaway stabilizer behinhd the mesh for added punch to defimnition
                        Pls e-mail me off list if you want samples.

Fred
                        Fred Lebow - Non Wovens - 406 854-2322<br />[email protected] - lebowconsulting.com<br /> So many tunes - so little time<br />\"Stabilizing is the foundation for good embroidery. Lay a proper foundation\"

Comment

Fred,

Thanks for the input. Preshrinking is hard when doing many shirts. The nylon mesh doesn't seem as stable as the 3 oz cutaway so I have never used it on wovens, but, I will try.

Thanks,
                          Mike
                          Action Graphics

Comment

Working...
                          X