Bubble Cap Backing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubble Cap Backing

What is and where can I obtain "bubble cap backing"? I have not seen this in any embroidery suppliers catalogs or web sites. Is it called something different than bubble cap backing? I only see and have used the so called "cap backing". Does this indeed help for a better embroidery result and better hooping? Is it worth investing in?

Just so we can say somebody chimed in- I have never heard of it either. Could it possibly be like that waffle cut-away some of us use on knits?
    Gregory

Comment

Ed Levy is the one who mentioned it as a way to improve on hat embroidery. Helps fill in the gap between frame and cap. So, anybodys guess as to what it is... waffle cut-away...fire retardant backing is puffier also............
      Ed, oh Ed, we need your imput. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I do emb very thin twill caps- very unstable. My interest is piqued.
        Gregory

Comment

Its a bubble packaging material that you see & use as a protective wrap

For unstructured caps I suggest a 3 oz soft, drapable, thick "wet laid" 3 oz cutaawy
          For reg stiffer front caps a 2.5 oz tearaway
          Pls feel free e-mail me off list for dsamples

Fred

Fred
          Fred Lebow - Non Wovens - 406 854-2322<br />[email protected] - lebowconsulting.com<br /> So many tunes - so little time<br />\"Stabilizing is the foundation for good embroidery. Lay a proper foundation\"

Comment

Thankyou Fred. That would be the reason no fellow embroidery people had heard of this "backing". Guess he should have simply said the small bubble packing "wrap". Got your answer Gregory! This should be kinda fun to experiment with. Good Luck.

Comment

Good to know- got wads of that stuff around here. I will have to try it soon- will post with the results in a few days. Good luck to you, too!
              Gregory

Comment

Well, after some searching, I found the article which mentioned "bubble cap backing". He actually is referring to the "soft foam" packing material one might find wrapped around something when packaged. Not to confuse with the denser, thicker foam used in puff embroidery. This is the thin white stuff. Again, I was confused a bit by Fred's answer and interpreted it wrong thinking about those darn "bubbles". Makes more sense as I couldn't figure out how the bubbles would hold up once pierced, or how you'd remove it cleanly. I can see the white stuff working quite nicely and removing cleanly as well. Anyone ever try sticky backing (stuck inside the area to be embroidered) along with regular cap backing?

Comment

Working...
                X