Sewing on straw caps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewing on straw caps.

Does anyone have any suggestions on sewing on Straw Caps? I have straw caps from Otto Cap, style #83-531. Any special settings that I need to make or change on my XT?

Armand

I looked at the cap on their site- I would definiteely use sharps, and try to keep the density as high as possible to get enough coverage. I sure hope you're putting something simple, like names, on these.
    Gregory

Comment

Another thought- unless this is "plastic" or man-made material that can take the "banging" of the high speeds of the Amayas, slow the machine(s) waaay down- i'd start at about 750> if that worked, I would not increse the speed, but I would keep slowing it down till I got it "my way". You might even be able to raise the presser-foot height to avoid damaging these fragile, one-season items> just remember to slow it waaay down. BOL!
      Gregory

Comment

I couldn't resist...had to see what you were all talking about. The ottocap 83-531 is a PAPER front cap, with full buckram backing. That buckram is going to save your day-it will hold the stitching in place which would not happen on a 'real' straw hat. As for type of needle...geez, I don't know-I would think a sharp needle would cut through the paper 'pattern' and let edges pop out, maybe a ball point would do less damage. Either needle type will work okay with the buckram.
        Let us know how it comes out!

Comment

I did some of these a few years ago on my EMT Machine. use 80/12 sharps, even though it's paper the way it is woven tends to deflect the needle at the edges of the strands. I would start out at about 600spm and go up from there. Be ready for some racket the "straw" is pretty hard. Adjust your density to get just enough coverage, too dense will cut the hat.

Have fun,

Steve
          Trinity Embroidery
          Steve I.<br />Trinity Emb

Comment

Working...
          X