.dst File - Stitching Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .dst File - Stitching Problem

I had a customer who recently brought me a .dst file that was converted from a Tajima file. I have stitched .dst files in the past for designs that I have purchased. However, this version developed into a problem for a new customer.

I did a test stitch on backing material to see what it would do & everything seemed ok. However, when I stitched on the customer's supplied material (Pique polo knit - Tri-Mountain) the letters were thin, the circle distorted. I did not like it at all & neither did the customer.

I am not familiar with the Tajima machines to understand their software or how the machines run differently to know what to compensate for.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I would like to salvage this account.

Thanks in advance for any help & your time to respond.

Not gonna be much help here--if it stitched okay on the backing material, you can figure it's the knit fabric--not the design. Try more stabilizer.

Comment

It's the material, pique is the worst material to sew fine lettering and narrow designs on-it is not stable because of the texture. You probably have to increase the pullcomp on the design and lettering a LOT...and maybe even have to use a solvy for a topping to hold the thread above the material.
      Really going to be difficult to do a perfect design on a heavy pique simple because of the 'thickness' of the material-the highs and lows screw up the thread and can mat down so 'circles' turn into ovals.
      You are going to need some sample pique material to play on to get your settings and changes to work on it. Can't set it with backing material, has to be similar to what the customer is supplying.

Comment

You can also try using SOLVY on top.
        Chris & Cindy

Comment

Use Invisible mesh backing, solvy on top.
          go to tools, thread feed, set colum 40, run/fill 103/4, material thickness 4.
          the acti feed on Auto.
          If the circle is still out of round, try rotating the stitch direction and/or changing your pull compensation up to 103%
          Gabi<br />Gabi Kat Embroidery Emporium<br />Tucson, AZ

Comment

Can you do things like Pull Comp with a dst file? We are not talking about a ofm file here.
            Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Yes, in in DS9 , in the "scale".
              You can also "save as" an ofm file and continue with adjustments.

Comment

Yes, this is true - to a certain degree.

You can adjust the Pull Compensation in the "Scale" window.... However, since a .DST file is not an "outline" format, this function is considered a global command which means you might wind up with extra Pull Compensation in areas of the design you didn't want. If you're lucky enough for it to work well with the design in question, that would be considered simply "Great"! But it may not work so well with the next design.

Also, simply saving a "Stitch" Format (.EXP, .DST, etc...) as an OFM file does not turn it into a true "Outline" Format (.OFM). However, everyone with Version 9 Design Shop, Pro & Pro Plus, has the ability to covert "Stitch" formatted file elements over to Wireframe elements making them true "Outline" elements within the design.
                However, digitizer beware! If you don't know what you're doing with the editing tools, be prepared to sew out several sample runs until you get it right.
                This is where proper training comes in handy.

Ed
                -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Ed is there a class on line to get "proper training"? I've had to teach myself, with the limited resorces I've been able to find.

Comment

By now we all know, Melco has traded out "class room training" of Design Shop software for Webinars. For some, this works well and is a big cost saver. Yet, for others, they long for a more personal way to learn. At this point, there's "on-site" training that is still provided by Melco certified trainers like myself. We travel to your facility and go step by step, at your pace, through whatever parts of the software you'd like to learn. This being, very much, a "hands on" approach.

I've given training to many who said they didn't appreciate the speed at which the webinars moved at and others felt there were too many folks in the webinar, all learning at different levels.
                    I'm sure, in time, Melco will have many different level webinars to choose from.
                    If you bought your system from Melco, most of these webinars are free. If you bought from a 3rd party, you will have to pay for access.

Learning on your own is admirable. However, although you might be able to figure out how a feature tool works on your own, you may not be able to figure out when and where to use it efficiently. I've always told my customers that proper training is like learning all the secrets of the professionals.

Lest we not forget the 3rd party books and DVDs that are available far and wide. However these forms of media won't be software specific unless you get it straight from the manufacturer. Melco's manual for Design Shop is located in the software itself. And some training DVDs are available from Melco but remember they are not interactive should you have any questions and many say they are too slow. Although opinions may vary.

Version 9 software offers some pretty good videos but they are specific to version 9. I like the guy's voice - sounds like a game show host.

Should you decide to employ a trainer for onsite training, remember that the money you spend for this training should ultimately make you more money by either saving you time using the software you've purchased or allowing you the ability to handle tasks you've been paying other digitizers to do.

A good trainer will ask up front what you want to acheive from the training before hand, and a great trainer will calibrate the training, all throughout the allotted training time, to your ability to comprehend the information being provided.
                    This may include slowing down, speeding up, repeating subjects, memorable analogies, frequent "hands on" time (machine/computer), testing, removing distractions, "hand out" notes, visual props, customizing default settings on YOUR computer, discussing features only available in YOUR version and level of software, etc... And don't forget a great trainer also offers phone support after the training on all subjects discussed during the training- and encourages you to call.
                    Most of the items mentioned above, you won't get "on-line". But then again, they may not be necessary for all.

If money isn't available for continued machine maintenance/service and training, you may not be charging enough for your trade.
                    That would be like delivering pizzas for a living and not having enough money for new tires.

Also, don't forget the seminars that are offered at all of the sewing and embroidery shows across the country. I'm going to the SPESA Expo show in Atlanta this week to meet sewing machine manufacturers. (A little investment in my own business.) I'm also going to sit in on a free seminar entitled "choosing the right needle". Let's see if I learn anything new.

There is information to be shared out there and this list is a great place to start as you already know.

Ed Orantes
                    Melco Tech & Trainer
                    -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Listen to Ed.
                      Gregory

Comment

OK, I bought my Big Red May of '05. That was in Florida,(sick husband could travel to GA for any training) Thank you to the techs that had to come on 2 occations to fix Amaya. (Factory installed board issues) Gleened a ton about the machine. What I've always wanted to know - to learn is what really good embroidery looks like. Where is the bar set. I know printing, offset/screen. I know good graphic design and finsh art. What's needed for output to specific substraits. What I haven't found is what am I looking for in my finish product, besides a very happy client. What are the "standards". Are there any. I am gleening info any where I can.
                        As a professional graphic artist/designer I have always designed with the method of output in mind. I'm getting a grasp on backing/needles/toppings used with specicic fabric types. I've even got a few fav. setting that seem to give me a sew out I'm happy with. I just don't know if what I'm happy with is the quality I want.
                        Sorry for the rant....this is just frustrating to me..Now I'm clear out in Tucson...new to town, starting over

Comment

Gabi,

I am about an hour from you in Queen Creek. I would be glad to help you in any way I can. I have been doing embrodery/digitizing for about 15 years. If you have any questions feel free to contact me by e-mail or a private message.

Steve
                          Trinity Embroidery
                          Steve I.<br />Trinity Emb

Comment

Gabi,
                            "The BEST Embroidery" will always be in the eye of the beholder. I've been blown away over the years by horrible embroidery that customers simply LOVE and also by the teenie-tiniest of flaws that will keep an embroiderer from sleeping at night. Therefore, to this, I say, whatever it takes to make you and your customers happy will be what you are striving for from not just your embroidery machine but more importantly, your embroidery business. Because, after all, your machine only represents one third of your embroidery.

The three areas of embroidery that must be mastered for professional results are:
                            1)The machine - must be running as it was designed by it's manufacturer. If not, get it fixed.
                            2)The operator - must understand hooping, thread tensions, backing, needles, fabrics, machine & software tools, etc...
                            3)The digitizing - what else can you say. This must be done correctly based on size, fabric type, machine type, customer's requests, etc...
                            ...Give the same design to 10 different digitizers and you will get back 10 differently digitized designs.

At this point, you will want to use as many descriptive words to describe what it is about the embroidery you are currently producing that you would like to see change as well as what type of change you desire.

An example: Just last night, my customer told me.... "Look, see, it's sewing BAD". After asking specifically what she meant, it turned out that she thought the text was sewing too thin so I showed her how to increase the column's width in software. Now she was happy.

Remember that McDonalds, Burger King, & Wendy's all make hamburgers however they all taste a little different and yet they are all successful in business. Your embroidery doesn't have to be identical to someone else's in order to have happy customers. Think about how many people are happy (or content) with junk made in China.

There will be a balance between the price you charge, the quality you produce, and the turn-around time you provide to create that much desired "Happy Customer".

Wishing you the best,

Ed Orantes

Comment

Thank you Ed.
                              Some times I think I may over think things....
                              over fuss even.

Comment

Working...
                              X