Magical Number 1.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magical Number 1.14

Okay- went for cap training and got a formula for figuring how tall a design can be on a cap. The formula is to take the front part of the caps height before it starts to curve and subtract 1.14" from that height- say the height of the hat is 3" before it starts to curve toward the top, subtract 1.14 from 3, and this leaves 1.86" of embroderable area, with a little wiggle room. I accepted this formula, and have done well with it, however my boss is now back here into hoop limits, and removing brackets from the cap frames, and all sorts of things in order to try and get more top to bottom stitch area out of the Amayas. I have tried, to the best of my ability, to explain to him about the "lip" on the tubular arm, and the way the driver shaft can get in the way- to no avail- yet. Where does this "magical" 1.14" come from? I know it has something to do with the limits of the cap frame. Somebody, anybody- please explain this to me. I am working with a prodigy here- and he expects a lot!
    Gregory

Gregory,
    I've never heard of anyone mentioning this magical number, but then again, the Irish say Leprechauns exist but I've never seen any of them either.

The Amaya XT "extended" Wide Angle Cap Frame (WACF) has a maximum sewing limit height of about 3.25 inches. But that says nothing of what the sewing limit height will be of the cap YOU have chosen to sew. I have always preached to my customers to simply settle on the fact that most cap designs will be around 2 inches tall. I say this because at 2 inches tall, this will cover you for just about most caps on the market that anyone will want. If you decide to make it 2.25 inches tall, let that be your decision and not that solely of the customers.

Sure, if someone brings you those old "trucker style caps" with the 6 inch bill board fronts, then yes, you will be able to sew a taller design on those caps. But truthfully, a cap with too tall of a design is going to start to look rather silly unless that's what you're going for. And that, of course, is the opinion of many but not necessarily all.

So my magic number is more of "2" referring to the overall height of the design. Also making sure that the back of the presserfoot is at least 1/4" away from the front edge of the silver strap near the bill. If the presserfoot gets too close to the silver strap, it will have the tendency to be pushed forward into the back of the path of the needle causing it to break.

Best of luck to you.
    Ed Orantes
    -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Finally- an answer! Thank you, Ed! I am having good results with designs that fall within the 2-2.25" range; & the day of training I was a mess- drove in pounding rain in the dark w/white knuckles all the way- anyway, the very kind trainer gave me this formula & I have used it & found that it works. Now that the boss wants to "STretCH" the limits of the 4 Amayas we have- I am very nervous about screwing the machines up. Might have been doing this half my life, but Amayas have only been in my world for @ 11 months- the electronic controls leave me out and intimidate (try to) me. I'm not educated enough about how the machine works (I pretty much get all the mechanical stuff) to go trying to do the "impossible" yet. I am happy with the Amayas, but to explain their limitations to someone who was promised the "largest cap sewing field in the industry" is trying. I accept their limitations, and applaud them when they hum, but they don't have the largest; maybe the widest.
      Anyway, Ed, I agree/do everything you said & really appreciate the encouraging reply.
      Gregory

Comment

Working...
      X