Specialty threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specialty threads

Has anyone out there embroidered with any "specialty" threads? RA 300/4 super brite polyester floss or 100% cotton thread, Madeira Burmilana wool blend or supertwist No.12?
    Gabi<br />Gabi Kat Embroidery Emporium<br />Tucson, AZ

Gabi,
    I think most of us in here stick with poly 40. But if you have a particular problem, tell us about it & we will try to help. I have used metallics in the past, with good results-just more thread breaks- espescially the caterpillers- when some of the strands break and some don't- messy! Anyway- any specific issues with the threads you mentioned?
    Gregory

Comment

I'm a designer, and has always pushed it. Did so with our silkscreen shop, now I'm into embroidery. Looking into a nitch. I'll let you know as I forge ahead. I do have a little hedge - my husband is a retired lace designer, with a degree in weaving. Understands and knows both the machinery and fibers.

Thank you for you response

Comment

OK is it "Kosher" in one design to use poly on one part of the design, then use rayon on the other?

Comment

It is kosher to use all types of threads to get different effects. There is a cotton thread that has no luster and it looks nice blended into a leaf pattern. Different threads have different sheens in the light and it all helps in the overall effect. However, do remember that Rayon thread doesn't have the tensil strength and therefore not made to sew at high speeds. It is also not colorfast so is not the best choice for garments that will be bleached or have a lot of wear....especially children's clothing.
          Sharon
          Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Working...
          X