Another Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Q

Anyone have a rough estimate on how long a bobbin case lasts?? How many stitches?? Or something?
    I have been experiencing more thread breaks as I mentioned before, and it was suggested that perhaps my bobbin needed replaced since everything else we checked seemed OK.

When I brought it up to my employer, she seemed shocked that that could be a problem, since we have "only had the machine for 4-5 months"

It has basically ran non-stop since they brought it into the shop (M-F) and I have done TWO 4,000,000 maintence on it already (the second this week just about 100,000 stitches early) When I told her the other possible problem (involving calling a tech to come see us) she really seemed bothered and reminded me the closest was "all the way in Denver" (we are in Central Nebraska)

They bought this new machine thinking it would always run perfectly and I would get more done, well the latter is true, but if we don't take care of it, the first is going to deteriorate!

I am just frustrated right now, they expect a lot and even with a great machine like I have that is not always possible! Im sorry to be venting, but we have the DAX show coming up and I ma not even excited about going...

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Unless your bobbin case has had some trauma such as a hard fall or the leaf spring is sprung, you should not need a new one. We are still using our originals and they are somewhere close to 7-8 years old.

Be sure you take the corner of a sheet of paper and clean out under the leaf spring and blow out the bobbin case area well. Wax and lint can build up under that area. We use NEB bobbins so get very, very little lint, but some bobbins are terrible.

I am going to guess your problems are possibly associated with lack of lubrication, needles turned a bit too far to the left or right, a burr on the needle/s, the presser foot not at the proper height, or a design issue. Those are just the immediate things that come to mind we often find when out in the field training.

Sharon
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

HI Sharon-

That is interesting that you have bobbin cases that old that you are still using - great, but interesting. I have sewn for years, and excessive use can wear them down abit. I wouldn't think that embroidery would be a lot different in that aspect. Even the AMAYA tech I spoke with said they need to be replaced on occasion, especially if you put a lot of use on your machine.

Our bobbin case has been dropped a couple times and nothing seems 'bent' it does however have a 'rusty' almost 'rough' looking spot that it came with. I have cleaned the bobbin case, as I mentioned I just did a complete maintence and did lubricate everything as instructed.

I also have adjusted the needles (and changed completly) if I felt they might be off.

Adjusting the pressure foot, helped but I still have infrequent (sometimes more) thread breaks on ANY design. (thought it might just be what I was working on)

Upon repeating many of these checks when on the phone with AMAYA, the only other suggestion (besides teh bobbin case) was Hook Timing.
      (that was the idea she really frowned about)

I have a 30 piece job that is taking me extra tiem because I am getting 4-5 breaks per piece!
      Just trying to stay productive and out of trouble with my employer! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Laurie

Comment

Hi Laurie,
        There are many other reasons that can cause thread breaks besides the ones I mentioned--I was just thinking of the most obvious ones we run into when out in the field on tech calls or training.

When you mentioned the rust on your spot, you cannot have any rough spots anywhere that are not going to affect your sewing. Sometimes we find burrs on the support finger and we polish those off in the field. Sometimes a rough spot in the hole in the needleplate. If your timing is off, that, too, will affect the thread breaks.

You should have an extra bobbin case with the machine and that is worth a try first. If you check everything else out that is the obvious, then I would suggest a tech call--I know people hate to hear that, but the techs are worth their weight in gold.

Sharon

If you have checked all the obvious

Comment

Laurie,
          One thing I did fail to mention is humidity. You are located where it is cold and the room may be very dry due to heat. Believe me, humidity can play a big part in thread breaks. When you cut your thread, does it kind of fluff at the end--or unravel? If so, you have low humidity. If you are located in a room that a portable humidifier will work, I definitely suggest the use of one.

Sharon

Comment

WOW! you nailed it, it is COLD! Been a very rough winter for a lot of us! Yes, my thread has always frayed and looked "fluffy" We knew the old machine we had didn't like the weather, but just thought it was the older machine. Crazy, I will see if we can get a small humidifier!

If this helps you will be my new best friend!!

Laurie

Comment

Good luck Laurie! That is an easy and fairly cheap fix! Keep us posted.
              Sharon

Comment

Yes, everybody is totally right about the humidity being a factor- and, as far as the bobbin case being "out-of round" so to speak; we are on concrete here, and when I drop one, there is a high probability that it will be bent. I keep at least one spare for each of our Amayas. I can't believe your employer got testy over a $6 part- order about 4 and save on the s/d charges because you WILL need them.
                Gregory

Comment

humidity can wreak havoc, so can static electricity-makes the thread behave weird.
                  We have 4 bobbin cases for our one machine, maybe 5...because when we traded 'up' to the XT we kept all the spare parts, everything from the big red, and also when it was installed the tech gave us the full installation kit-that had MORE stuff in it we already had. Many times just changing to a new bobbin case fixes thread breaks, even after cleaning, readjusting, resetting the 'drop'...sometimes the bobbin just has a resident gremlin in it to screw with you. It's also handy to have them all loaded with thread and ready to 'go'...so when you run out of thread you just grab the next one and pop in it.
                  ALSO...keep in mind-you CAN have a bad bobbin! We've found once in awhile a bobbin is wound too tight, thread won't come off, over the thread (bobbin) itself is just bad. If you have checked everything else and still have trouble, grab a fresh bobbin and see what happens!

Comment

I would also check the bobbin tension. I was told you need to do the bobbin test every time you change it. That with the presser foot height has a lot to do with breaks. I speak from experience, been there done that!
                    _____
                    Pam
                    Pam Pittman<br />Cross Thread Embroidery

Comment

Thanks Greg! We too have a very hard floor, covered with tiles. I will ask again about ordering a couple extra the next time she is ordering for embroidery supplies.
                      That part is not in my control, I request what we need and wait for it to get here.

Sigman- I tried changin bobbins too... because someteimes that HAS been the problem! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Pam I do check my bobbin tenison with every new bobbin, have only had to adjust it once.

It sewed a bit better Friday afternoon after my boss gave me a cool steamer to sit by the machine, I was home sick yesterday so we will see how things go today. Thanks for all the great responces!!

Laurie

Comment

We ahve an actual humidifier now, she must have bought it over the weekend. So we have it set up near the machine... I will keep you posted! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X