Hoop Burn - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoop Burn - Help!

I am getting terriable hoop burn on the stuff I am hooping. What am I doing wrong???

1. Usually the hoop is too tight when you hoop the fabric. Tighten the ring after you hoop.
    2. The fabric may be delicate (velvet, satin,etc.) and needs something to protect it from the inner hoop ring. Place something between the fabric and the inner ring like a layer of cutaway (with a hole cut out over the embroidery area so you can embroider) or a water soluble stabilizer.
    3. It may not be hoop burn but just a little scuffing of the fabric finish. This is pretty evident on darker fabrics. If this is the case, it can be removed with steaming or even gently rubbing the fabric together. Test first.
    Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Hi Mary,
      Fabric has sizing in it. When you hoop a garment you risk "smashing" that sizing and it leaves a shiny ring called "hoop burn". First of all, it sounds like your hoops are too tight so loosen them up a little bit to hoop. Tighten them after the garment is hooped. The garment should not fall out of the hoop, but should be able to be hooped fairly easily. Don't stretch the fabric, but be sure it is good and taut.

Several things you can do...if it is fragile fabric such as satin, etc., wrap one of the hoops with ribbon or a sports tape that sticks to itself. Hoop loosly and then tighten after hooping. Loosen after the garment is sewn to remove the hoop.

For other hoop burns, you can purchase a can of Magic Sizing and just give a quick spray around the ring. That will put the sizing back into the garment. Another thing is to dampen the ring area and rub the fabric against itself and that will distribute the sizing already in the fabric. Still another is to steam the garment.

I hope some of these ideas work for you.

Sharon
      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Get a can of Spray Starch and spray it on you items where the hoop burn is. Take a towel and wipe it off and your burn is gone. We learned this in class and it works great.
        Also, I was taught never to hoop velvet, leather or similar type of material. You would need the clamping system or sticky back stabalizer.
        Pam
        Pam Pittman<br />Cross Thread Embroidery

Comment

Magic Sizing not Spray Starch.......not quite the same thing...

Rod

Comment

We have been using spray starch for 5 years now, ever since the buisness was bought. The lady that owned it used it. We use it to dissolve the topping also, it dries faster then water or steam. We have tried other methods, but always go back to spray starch. .99 cents at Walgreens on sale. Never had a problem. Bill

Comment

Her is some in fo from Stitches mag.
              in case folks were wondering the difference..
              I was...

Starch is used to stiffen fabrics such as shirt collars and cuffs, while sizing is used to add body, “crispness” and “hand” to garments. Starch is vegetable-based (it’s formulated from wheat, corn or rice), while sizing is a resinous solution that can be either vegetable- or plastic-based.

Because starch doesn’t satisfactorily adhere to thermoplastic fibers such as polyester, manufacturers often blend a plastic-based sizing agent and vegetable-based starch to impart stiffness to the synthetic fibers.

Starch and sizing alike can be added during the wetcleaning or drycleaning process, or they can be sprayed onto garments during the finishing process.
              When starch is applied in place of sizing, the garment can become overly stiff, crease easily and wrinkle before and during wear. Because sizing adds body to fabric, it makes garments easier to finish, reduces wrinkling during wear, and keeps pleats and creases sharp.
              [email protected]
              Jerome in Minnesota
              (320)259-1151

Comment

Great information, thanks for sharing.
                Rod & Sharon
                Tech & Trainers

Comment

I get hoop marks off by spraying a mist of water on the marks and rubbing with my hand. All gone.
                  Carhartt jackets you have to rub a little more.

Wayne

Comment

Working...
                  X