Font

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Font

While running a design, sometimes the letters will loop a little when it is trimmed or not. Many of the letters are the ones that came with my machine and some are ones I have digitzed (by a digitizer) I and run a sample but on the product they will be fuzzy, sometimes. Any tricks on how to improve the looks of these or what may be causing the looping?
    Thanks,
    Pam Pittman<br />Cross Thread Embroidery

Lettering is tricky, but very fussy with where your pressor foot is set! The 'looser' that foot is when it comes down, the looser your thread will be-makes loops. Also, the bobbin must be set right, not loose, not too tight. Holding it by the string (without going through the 'pigtail loop', it should not drop down without a little 'jerk' of your fingers-if it unrolls by itself, it's too loose. This is where magnetic bobbins work great.
    Also, for smaller lettering, use a thicker thread if you can't change the density or pull comp. I just did this as a test last week-used a 40 wt white instead of 60 wt and the small lettering lost the 'jagged edge', was a good looking 'full' letter, and I didn't have to change anything, not even the needle.

Comment

Roland,
      I have to ask, what weight thread are you sewing with normally? We sew most embroidery with 40 weight thread but when we want very small, crisp lettering, we drop to a 60 weight thread so it isn't heavy and leaves nice, crisp tiny letters. We also use a smaller needle such as a 65/9. Typically, we sew with a 75/11. Your suggestion to use 40 weight for small, crisp lettering throws me. Yes, for most of our lettering we do use 40 weight thread---I am talking really small lettering like .18.
      Sharon
      Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Maybe it's my dead brain cells...I thought that the regular ARC thread (gradually switching to Madeira) is 60 wt, and 40 wt is a heavier thread...I had a spool marked 40 as a sample, replaced my ARC 015 with it and it was a superior sewout on the lettering (not a font-it was all single line satin stitch that made up the custom lettering, 3/8" high).

Comment

I use the standard ARC and Isocord thread. How do you tell the weight on them? Thank you for all the replys. I appreciate it very much and will check all these things before I do the lettering.
          Pam Pittman<br />Cross Thread Embroidery

Comment

Working...
          X