Frequent False Bobbin Breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Dog...

Setting of 11? On what? Auto Lower Limit using Auto Acti-feed? Using Standard Activ-feed? XT or Standard Amaya? Which level of software?

If it is a material thickness setting, it sounds too high to me. This would be a definite possible reason for "false bobbin" breaks.....lower the setting or select the "Default" setting and see what happens...

Rod Springer
    Amaya Tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Rod,
      Both were sweatshirts one hoodie the other a crew neck. The machine is a Big Red(built? but I'm thinking early 2005) Design Shop and OS are both version 7.00.018
      I was using a lower setting when I stitched the sample of the first design, all column stitch lettering(one I digitized myself) and it seemed tight when I set it any lower.
      If I get some time this afternoon I might rerun the Grand Slam design on some scrap fleece and see if the lower setting makes a difference.
      Thanks.
      Laura

Comment

Laura,

You did not tell me if you were using "Auto Activ-feed" or "Standard Activ-feed" settings and if you were setting the "Auto Lower Limit" to 11?

The chrome tube that runs horizonally across the needlecase and has your threads wrapped around it, is the "Thread Break Sensor". This sensor is extremely sensitive to pressure applied from the "pull" of the thread on the upward stroke of the takeup lever. If there is "Too" much thread being fed out through the threadfeed rollers, which by the way, is a function of the "material thickess settings", then the thread will become "loose" around the threadbreak sensor tube and whaa-laa....false threak/bobbin break!

Sometimes, tweaking the threadbreak sensor tube helps this situation. Gently rotate the tube between your fingers, back and forth. There are two very small rubber ball bearings that sit in sockets within the ends of the tube. These can become flattened slightly, for lack of a better description, and become less able to detect the pressure variations required to allow it to work properly. If the tube is spun in an aggressive manner, the rubber ball bearings may be damaged or dislocated. So genly rotate it back and forth to possibly reposition the rubber ball bearings. Sometimes this works....

It maybe that the sensor had malfunctioned and needs replaced.....if you go into Settings and disable the "Bobbin" detect, do you still get False bobbin or False Thread Breaks?

Ver 7 software has "Updates" that take it up to 7.00.117 and would be worthwhile in doing. These updates were at no cost to the customer as it was still within the series. I don't know if Melco is still sending out "Updates" to the Ver 7 software and if there would now be any cost involved but I would at least call and check it out. Improvements were made in the software to enhance the series.... You did not say what level of Ver 7 you have.....if you can find someone with your same level of Ver 7 and they have an updated CD, maybe they could let you borrow it to update yours....but it would be better if you had your own copy in case you ever had to reinstall the software at some point.

Rod Springer
        Amaya Tech & Trainer

Comment

Acti-Feed set to 11 pts, standard mode. I did rotate the thread tension rod back & forth between my fingers gently and it seems to move smoothly, as if those ball bearings were round and not flattened. I'll try restitching a design later and see if there are any issues. I can stitch the lettering design I created again until after the hoildays, somebody is home who can't see it until after 12-25-09
          The version I am using is Design Shop Pro, the software the previous owner provided when I bought the machine.
          Do you know if the latest version comes with a new dongle or would I use the ones with the version I have now?
          I'm wondering if I should buy the upgrade to the latest version, or just have this one re-registered in my name. Me thinks starting off with the latest version would make more sense than learning this version and re-learning a new one later on. Sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Comment

Big Dog,

Two things, yes you would have to register the software with Melco to Update or Upgrade through them. As far as costs involved to register and Upgrade to Ver 9, you would have to negociate that with Melco....

Ver 7....Ver 9 ? Well both are good...Ver 7 at some point in time will become obsolete and support for it will surely dwindle away leaving only Ver 9 or above, whatever that will be.....so it is one of those ,Pay me now or pay me later, kind of things...

Why arn't you using the "Auto Activ-feed" feature? I can't remember now if the Auto function was included in the early version of Ver7 I still think that with a setting of 11 for material thickness, in Standard, is too high and may be the problem with your false bobbin break problem. The default is 1. The rule of thumb was a 3 setting in Standard and most sweats were sewn between 3 to 5 approximately.....

Rod Springer
            Amaya Tech & Trainer

Comment

Laura, I have two Big Red 2005 machines and one gives me fits with false bobbin breaks. I have had limited success with adding more backing, but on hats it has been sometimes 3 layers of backing and still get them at the top of the design. If you find anything that helps, please post it. I am calling Melco to see how much a new tube would be as my tech will be here sometime after the Holidays.
              Jo
              Creating the best First Impressions with custom embroidery.<br /><br />Jo Leftwich<br /> <a href=\"http://www.justsewitllc.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.justsewitllc.com</a>

Comment

By the way, I get more false bobbin breaks on auto-actifeed on hats and have to switch to standard feed around 14-15 for 6-panel.Jo
                Creating the best First Impressions with custom embroidery.<br /><br />Jo Leftwich<br /> <a href=\"http://www.justsewitllc.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.justsewitllc.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                X