Applique Satin Stitch Outline Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applique Satin Stitch Outline Problems

Hi everyone. I did a search but I might not have done the right words. So I apoligize in advance.

I have made an applique of a witch's hat. At the very top of the deisgn where it is pointed there are some really long stitches and it is very dense. When I stitched it out onto the t-shirt it pulled it all together. I had it hooped fine. I have short stitches turned off. Would turning it on solve this problem? I am still kinda unclear on what short stitches can do for me. Anyway any help on this would be great. Also I can email the design if this would be more helpful.

I am interested in doing a lot of applique for cute little t-shirts that I sell in my shop. So this would be very helpful for the future of my designs. Thanks again in advance!

Just as my first guess, it sounds like you'd need to reduce the density in that area, and also reset your maximum stitch length to a shorter length. Really long stitches can cause headaches!

Comment

How would I change the density in a specific area? And the Min stitch length is set to 8. Should I turn on auto split? I have not done much of my own digitizing on appliques.

Comment

It's the maximum stitch length you need to reduce. You need to set it so that it makes shorter stitches at its longest. To change denisty in a specific area, right click on it and change the density in the properties box.

Comment

okay when I click on the applique properties box for the cover stich. I am clicking on the properties box nex to column width. Then it only allows me to edit the column box. I have satin stitch selected. When I check the auto split box to select a min and max stitch length it will let me select it and hit apply. Then when I hit okay in the applique properties box it is not changing anything. I don't know this auto split is helping anything. Is there a way for me to change the stitch type to fill and still get the satin effect? I know I could set the min and max stitch there. Am I doing this completely wrong? I don't feel like I am doing it right.

Comment

Liz,

I believe what your problem is, is that the satin column is sewing around a sharp corner. This type of a corner should be either capped or mitered.

Right click on the satin stitch border in the project tree you are needing to work on. Then select Properties and then select the Corners tab. This will allow you to select whichever type of corner you want, Capped or mitered. Play with this tool and you will quickly see what the benifit is and what it can do for you. Your issue with the long stitches in the sharp points of the satin stitch columns will be gone.....

The short stitch tool primarily sorks in the "inside" of the corners, the "corners" tool primarily works on the "outside" of the corner and either caps or miters it.....neat tool!!!

Rod Springer
            Amaya Tech & Trainer
            Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

that should read "works" not "sorks".......

Comment

thanks for the response Rod. I tried clicking on the hat satin outline and it will only give me the applique properties box. Which doesn't allow me to change the corners. I know what you are talking about with the corners tab but I do not know how to get to it in an applique! This thing is so frustrating! Thanks for all of the help Rod and Judy!

Comment

Try making two points at the corner instead of just one. Make them close together. And, remember, just a little difference can make a big difference.

Juli in Kona
                  Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Liz,

The "applique" tool is kind of a strange duck. If you select the applique tool and then create a border, there are accually 3 elements created. First the is a walk stitch registration line, then a satin border and the a second satin stitch border, for a total of three different elements.

To see these individual elements you must "Convert" the applique border to "Wireframe". Then on the "FIRST SATIN STITCH BORDER" go into the Properties page and under the Column tab, change the stitch type to either a Zig Zag, Tackle, E-stitch or whatever you want from the list provided.

Now, on the "Second" Satin Stitch border, which will be the third element in the project tree list for the applique border created, you will be able to use the cornering tools to miter or cap the angles, change the density, etc........

Make any sense?

Rod Springer
                    Amaya Tech & Trainer

Comment

Yay! Thank you Thank you Thank you Rod! It NEVER occured to me to convert to wireframe! Go figure. I am going to do a sew out tomorrow. It is really bad weather with tornados right now so I don't think I am turning on the machine today [img]smile.gif[/img] .

However, I went ahead and fixed everything in DS and it looks a TON better already. Thanks for all the help guys! It never ceases to amaze me how awesome this board is! I'll let everyone know how the sew out goes but I am prety confident that will solve the problem. Thanks again to all.

Comment

Working...
                      X