THREAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THREAD

Spent quite some time comparing different threads and wanted to share my experience with the board. Really a hassle switching over to a new thread line but maybe this will help some others who are forced to move from ARC.

For 40 wt poly thread, Robison Anton came up superior to all threads for consistent sewing without threadbreaks and for color both in brilliance and sheen. Some of the Isacord browns and reds had an orange hue to them. Robison Anton was consistent with the pantone shades. Metallics from RA ran extremely well at 1000 spm and the cones sit well on the Amaya (actually better because they're a little fatter) and have that cool little tuck-the-thread rim that is very convenient.

Because I can match almost every shade of ARC without a problem, I'm just keeping my ARC palette in DS and marking all new RA spools with the ARC numbers using a Sharpie marker. Inside the cone (bottom), I'm also marking the RA color so I have some reference. This makes it very simple for the transition and maybe ARC will re-emerge one day. I have too many cones to start over so this seemed like the simplest way for now.

Here's my RA contact if anyone is interested in a sample or to order thread cards, etc. Tell him Geri sent you!

Bob Howlett Account Manager
    Robison Anton Division of American & Efird
    Cell 717-451-1608
    Customer Service 866-932-0250

Anyone on the east coast will happy to know that it takes only ONE day to get your order!

For rayon thread, I recommend Admelody from BFC Creations. I sew at 1200 spm with this rayon and it's smooth sailing every time. This thread can be purchased at www.bfc-creations.com.

For 40 wt cotton look poly, I use Valdani thread. Limited colors and not always in stock, but an excellent thread.

~GF

You say you compared different threads. What other brands did you try? I have tried many and have stuck with Isacord/Isamet thread with Coats bobbins for the past 12 years and have been very happy with it.

Comment

I tried the Isacord/Isamet -- nice thread. Some of the colors were a bit "orange" to me which is why I went more toward the RA line which is true pantone dye matched. Other than that, Isacord is a very nice thread too. I had no problems sewing with them at all. My customer base is primarily artists who are very color-sensitive, and the RA colors were better received by them than the Isacord.

For bobbins, I also like the Coats and the NEBs. The NEBs because I sometimes need to wind my own bobbins to match top thread, and the empties are handy.

Comment

Working...
      X