Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supporting 20.7" x 16.8" Tubular Sash Frame

Hi All,

I'm still a newbie and have quite a lot to learn from trial and error, primarily with the 1,001 reasons why thread breaks (I think I'm up to 157). I'm learning that if the sun and the moon are not perfectly aligned with the needle position, pressure foot height, etc., etc., I am plagued with spending most of my time rethreading. I am getting better, thank goodness.

Anyway, enough of that. Thanks for letting me vent. I am doing a stitch test out of a large design on the 20.7" x 16.8" wooden frame hooped with one layer of thin weight cotton blend and one layer of adhesive polymesh backing. So the hoop is not very heavy, and the fabric/backing does not drape over the hoop. However, the front of the hoop bounces quite a bit (I forget the technical description for that). I think the pressure foot height is set correctly because it is close to the fabric (I adjusted back from using the micro pocket hoop) and the design is stitching out nicely.

Anyway, I was just was wondering if anyone had some ideas on how to support this large hoop while it is embroidering. This is almost a 3-hour stitch out and I'd hate to have to stand in front of it the whole time to support it lightly with my fingers. I think that would be necessary if I hooped a jacket or something else that is heavier.

Thanks!
    Ed

Thank you Mary and Embroidery Machine! Great ideas. Slowing down does help. I'll order one of those sewing table tops this week. May I ask how big it is? When attached, does it make the XT wider and deeper?

Thanks again,
    Ed

Comment

I emailed melco about the tabletop...the price is still the same but you can't get it through their 'net store yet.
      BUT if you can call in to order it, talk to ELI direct-and he'll get you free freight.
      We're going to order ours today.

Roland

Comment

Hi Ed,
        The tabletop is about 9-10" wider and about 6-7" deeper than the Amaya table.
        Mary
        Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Hi Mary,

Just got it. Wow! Very well made. So that's what those grooves on top of the Amaya cart are for. This should help quite a bit. I think I'll keep it semi-permanently attached unless I want to use the cap driver, cap frame and pocket clamp. Any problem using the tabletop with either the Slimline 1 or 2 brackets installed?

Thanks much!

Ed

Comment

What is this table you speak of? does anyone have a picture of it or a website I can look at it?

Comment

Hi Cmack,

Mary from Shuffletown Embroidery told me there was a sewing large tabletop for the XT, part number 33278 for $165. Apparently there is a smaller tabletop because when I spoke to Diane at Melco Parts she asked me what size I wanted.

Here's a link to how the large tabletop looks like on the Amaya XT, with a 20.7" x 16.8" hoop on top (http://www.flickr.com/photos/2849334...7621387111789/). I started to peel off the vinyl plexiglass film off the top, but left it on. It is made of thin layers of gray-colored metal sandwiching a layer of plastic.

It is a worthwhile accessory to have and minimizes hoop "flagging" with hoops smaller than the 20.7" x 16.8" hoop as well. I think anyone who uses large hoops will benefit.

Thanks,
              Ed

Comment

Hi Ed,
                I've just returned from a short vacation.
                I'm glad you're happy with the tabletop attachment.
                I have used the tabletop with many of the hoops when sewing flats. As you pointed out, sewing with the cap frame would not be possible. And you can't do tubular embroidery either.
                Mary
                Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Hi Mary,

Welcome back. Want to thank you again for your advice. Last night was the first time I had a chance to really embroider something with the tabletop attached. I am impressed! Not only does it give me more work space, but more importantly, I found that it dramatically reduces thread breaks!! I guess this is because the hoops don't flag as much and supports not only the hoops but draping fabric around it.

I could not believe I sewed a 30-minute design with Madeira rayon at 1,250 spm with only a message that the bobbin needed changing. I know, I know....1,000 spm max for rayon....I just wanted to see how fast it would go. Yippee!

Ed

Comment

Working...
                  X