leather repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leather repair

I need to replace a zipper in a biker jacket. I know that leather does not forgive holes like wovens do. If this was embroidery is there any product that can help when restitching to fill in the holes or a backing that will help stabalize the area while stitching over it. Thanks
    Margaret
    Wishes In Stitches Embroidery<br />4502 W. Buffalo Street<br />Chandler, Arizona 85226<br />480-216-3163

I have had leather gloves repaired by a 'leather crafter', and have also repaired my own sheepskin blanket and mittens. This is what the crafter showed me to do...What you need to do is hand stitch the zipper back in-and follow the original holes! Otherwise you end up with a second set of holes lined up pretty close to the original-and now you have weakened the area enough the new zipper could pull the entire hem of the jacket out when worn.

Comment

Margaret,

Leather is tough enough that you shouldn't worry about it being stable. You should be able to hit the same holes that were made the first time they sewed in the zipper. I would not attempt it on a home machine. An upholstery machine would work best. Just give me a call and you can come over and use mine.

Steve I.
      Steve I.<br />Trinity Emb

Comment

Working...
      X