Kinds of hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinds of hats

What is the difference between a Pro Style and a Baseball cap? What exactly does "low crown" mean? What is it called when the tippy top is lower than normal, so us small heads don't get our ears smashed?

Is there any place that explains everything I want to know about caps?

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

The 'crown' of a hat is the height...
    low crown-you cranial challenged lowbrow folks
    medium crown-average person with something between the ears
    high crown-reserved for those of us with superior intellectual capacity (as my wife calls us-'fatheads'...LOL)
    structured cap-has the canvas or plastic 'mesh' insert so the face of the cap is rigid as wood
    medium structured-a light canvas or poplin (or other material) panel sewn in or actually 'sealed' to the face of the cap. You can crush it down, worn and washed a few times it gets fairly flexible
    unstructured-found on a lot of the lowcrown 'stonewashed denim canvas' types of hats...the cap just flops there like a jellyfish.
    Baseball caps used to be the foam front mesh backed 'plastic pop' strap hats. Now they call those Trucker Caps.
    Pro style (and this might differ between suppliers) to me means the high crown, structured 'golf cap' with a fancy slider buckle or (shudder) velcro strap.
    Again, there might be differences between hat makers.
    Roland

Comment

Thanks Roland, for that creative description.
      But I'd still like to know that when a supplier has Trucker, Baseball and Pro caps, what do you think the difference between Baseball and Pro. Forget the trucker caps. Hate those things. Talk about dork!

Juli in Kona
      Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Now Roland,
        Let's not dis those velcro strap caps. Very handy for ponytails! There appears to be a cap out there for everyone, the challenge is finding the right one for the customer. And I don't even pretend to know what is fashionable anymore. I did a variety of hats & caps for a neighborhood sailing regatta and they ran out of the caps I was least fond of, the one I though no one would like.

Redina

Comment

I learned to hate velcro straps as our boys grew up...any clothing with velcro-shoes, caps, mittens...first time you washed them the velcro 'hook' side filled up with lint and was useless...unless you spent the weekend pulling the lint out! LOL...
          and when I tried to use my hat press with the 'tension' spring-it would pop the velcro right apart so we would have to stop and reset the tension everytime we switched from other caps to velcro. Just got to be a pain. I've got probably over a dozen full boxes of different caps (mostly from Otto) with velcro straps and not a customer that will use them...us yankee hillbumpers up here don't get into this newfangled geegaw stuff...

Roland

Comment

Working...
          X