Stitching on Bamboo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stitching on Bamboo

does anyone have any tips on stitching on Bamboo? My customer ordered SanMar K497, I just got them and they seem a bit thin & lite. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am guessing they will pucker badly...
    Jack & Gretchen Peckham<br />Greyt Threads Embroidery<br />Idyllhounds, Recycling to Rescue Racers<br />Greyhound Rescue

Jack,
    If you are concerned about puckering on thin materials, you should be glad you have the Amaya system as you can control the thread's tension with ease.
    Since the needle will tear apart the bamboo, you want to have a few needle penetrations as possible. Meaning not a lot of underlay if any.
    Have your auto acti-feed turned off (standard mode) and choose a number high enough where you don't get puckering but also don't get looping on top. You may have to turn off your bobbin detector as you will probably get a lot of false bobbin breaks if you don't.
    Use a sharp needle and preferably one that won't bend easily like the 75/11 or 80/12.
    Slow the machine down as hooping this material won't be easy.
    Just Remember this. It is at times like these where we as embroiderers like to experiment and unfortunately make a mistake somewhere along the way and wind up messing up the machine. So be careful and make sure you are getting paid extra for the risks you are undertaking. Also, make sure all your other work is out of the way first in case you render your machine down and have to wait for a tech to arrive.
    I say this because I have a very limited idea of what kind of bamboo you are sewing on.
    Good Luck,
    Ed
    Melco Tech & Trainer
    504-258-6260
    -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Jack,
      I just did a google search for Sandmar K497. I see now that this is a pique polo shirt and not necessarily bamboo poles that Panda bears eat(?).
      But I do see this shirt is made from bamboo charcoal material so this officially means I have no idea what in the heck this kind of fabric is. Seems like it would be scratchy if you ask me.
      Seriously, use a ball point needle, two layers of cut-a-way backing, keep you bobbin tension on the loose side, keep underlay stitches to a minimum, consider using a topping such as solvy, keep you desity 4 points and above for satin stitches and 3.5 points and above for your fill stitches, and do not stretch the fabric when you hoop or allow the fabric to be too loose in the hoop either.
      I sincerely hope this helps.
      Ed
      -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Wait a minute! Are we talking about wood or material? Bamboo material is very soft and nice feeling. I was very surprised. The Greenies love this stuff.

I haven't actually embroidered on it yet, but the time will soon come. I would treat is the same as a t-shirt. On T's I use iron on no-see stuff (I got it precut to 7.5 X 8 and love it - avoids so many problems!) Iron it on the relaxed shirt, then hoop. I don't like dense designs, so I am always lightening up the density anyway. I believe this material has spandex. It is always chancy sewing on something that is meant to stretch when worn.

Good luck with it

Juli in Kona
        Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Ed, the bamboo fabric is generally very soft...kind of like some knitted rayon. Next time you attend one of the trade shows, check it out.
          I would use the no-show-thru backing as Juli does, depending on the weight of the fabric and the design...maybe two layers.
          Theresa

Comment

Thanks for the help. I slowed down to 850spm and mat. thickness was way up. I used 2 cut away & 1 salvey. it stitched out great!
            Thanks again
            Jack
            Jack & Gretchen Peckham<br />Greyt Threads Embroidery<br />Idyllhounds, Recycling to Rescue Racers<br />Greyhound Rescue

Comment

Im finally reading e-mails from 2 weeks ago. LOL

If you haven't got any samples of the new Bamboo Towels from Sanmar I highly suggest checking them out. I use them for personal use and they are very soft. The polos and button downs are great as well, Very nice, soft material that my customers really like. Get some samples you will be surprised [img]smile.gif[/img]
              Aaron Sargent<br />Pegboard<br />541-727-1440

Comment

Working...
              X