Visors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visors

I have some visors to embroider. The band is approximately 2" tall; there is NO fused buckram, of course, just double layer of 100% wicking mesh polyester. Any suggestions on how to do this successfully would be GREATLY appreciated.

I don't know if you got no responses because visors are a pain for everyone, but I really don't like doing them. Most have no band to grab onto and they slip. I ended up hand sewing on a band just to get the gripper into. If you can get some with a sweatband like inside a standard ball cap you do it the same way. Sorry, I am not familiar with the backing you describe. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks, Redina. I kept experimenting until I was able to get something I was happy with.

Comment

I've done several orders of visors for youth softball teams and have found them very easy to work with if you do a couple things.

First - get the hooptech cap frames and ditch the melco frames for all of your hats. I know they're expensive, but you will thank me later. It's worth the money.

Second - use a double layer of stiff tearaway backing and make sure you digitize the design at no more than 1.85 inches tall. Width is not so important. I often go seam to seam on visors.

Make sure your designs sew center outward and bottom to top. The double layer of backing really helps to hold things togethor and keep the visor from wilting at the top as you sew near the edge.

Visors are easy if you have the right frame and practice on a couple to get the feel.

Comment

I have also done many visors without issues.
          I am interested to know how you manage to get a dseign that is 1.85" tall? Is that an advantage to using the hoop tech frames?

Thanks,
          LuAnn
          LuAnn @ Image Embroidery<br />Because Your \"Image\" Matters

Comment

Maybe it's just me...but I"m sitting on a couple dozen visors I bought 2 years ago and have never been able to sew on them. I'd swear (and I'll go check) that the 'face' is just barely 1 1/2" high-when I tried to hoop, there was an inch or so available..nothing more!
            So they still sit out back...
            Roland

Comment

I have some of those visors Roland. If anyone has a great idea for these please let us know. Thanks

Linda
              Fancy Needles
              Linda Webster<br /><a href=\"http://www.fancyneedles.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fancyneedles.com</a><br />[email protected]

Comment

The best way to do visors that have a short band is to use heat transfer vinyl and FORGET about embroidery!!

Comment

Yes, I thought of that...but this alumni group has a very intricate detailed logo...just wouldn't be able to cut and weed!
                  And they already had 'vinyled' visors and had requested embroidered ones to 'show a little class'...at the time I ordered, Sanmar had only this one style in red available...I've seen other visors embroidered that have more 'front' to them.
                  No way to squash it flat and hoop it either...tried that. Brim is thick and visor material thicker...maybe someday I'll find a way!

Comment

Great idea - to use heat transfer. But I don't have that, so I am stuck with embroidery.

Juli in Kona
                    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Juli...unfortunately you being 'across the pond' so to speak, sharing jobs between us wouldn't be cost effective...but other 'land lubbers' keep in mind-with the economy being what it is...don't lose orders for decorated textiles (screenprinting, heat sealing, etc.) because you don't have the equipment...check out others here in Amaya land and 'network' between us! I'm slowly building up a sideline doing 'wholesale' digital print/diecut iron ons, and diecut vinyl, etc. and sending it to other shops that have a teeshirt or hat press but not their own transfer printer. I send out large embroidery orders to a bigger shop-so I don't lose the order or tie myself up for days. I screenprint small orders or large ones for other shops-and I know there are others here that do the same. So...for all the other 'small shops' like my wife and I have-don't turn away orders just because you don't have, or can't afford, the right equipment...check here to see who might HAVE what you need and will do your job wholesale! Keeps us all busy and our customers happy. Then if you get enough demand, say, for iron on soccer numbers...you can decide if you want to buy the equipment or keep farming it out.
                      That's how I got started with all the different things I do here...
                      not saying you have to contact ME for everything-not that I'd love it...but Aaron, he does bulk hat sewing, John I think has a larger screen printing shop, Herb...now I can't think of what he specializes in besides being smug...LOL...but there is a source for anything you might need from any one of us here!
                      Share and share alike...we are all in this economy mess together!
                      Roland

Comment

Whenever possible I have Pacific Headwear sew my visors. They do a great job, can get a good sized logo on them and its hassle free. I have them do all my allstar visors and most my allstar hats now mostly due to time reasons. I do use their visors when I have them do the work.

With that said we have sewn on hundreds of visors and you just have to check each style for height and design the logo accordingly cause they do range from a sewable area of 1-1.75" in my experience with most having a sewable area of 1'1.50". We sew them on the 2 head Tajima though.
                        Aaron Sargent<br />Pegboard<br />541-727-1440

Comment

Roland

Ain't that the truth.

I might have found someone that is less than 10 miles from me that has a direct to garment printer. And I do have a less than commercial heat press (T-shirt).

I am 66 yrs old and have reservations about going into too much new stuff - especially expensive stuff! But I do like the embroidery.

Juli in Kona
                          Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Working...
                          X