Advice onTwill Lettering & Sew Disk options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice onTwill Lettering & Sew Disk options

I have several 100% polyester NIKE Jackets & NIKE Sweatshirts That the customer is requesting Twill in an "Old School" type font. The closest I see to that font is Stahls "Pro Block".
    CALI is to go on the jacket back in White. Jackets are Royal blue & they asked how it would look with Royal stitching on the white? (Thoughts please) Should I get 3" Letters? Do you recommend the pressure sensitive Poly-Twill & get sew disc or how does the no sew Slim Stitch stuff look? Does it really look like it is not embroidered? Would you position the letters straight or a very slight arch? Kinda tuff with just 4 letters!
    On the Grey sweatshirts they want: CALI & under it OLYMPIC TRIALS 2008. Some are Hoodie style and some are V-neck. This they want Tone on Tone so grey Twill and stitching. Thoughts on that look? How would you position this for the front?
    Should I sew or get the sewn look? I have avoided these orders thus far, because I have no experience with it, obviously!! I have too much to do in a week and a half. All of your input is appreciated.
    Thank you
    Debbie
    Design Wizard Embroidery

Hi Debbie! I'll give you my 2 cents worth on some of your questions. Font- Stahl's Varsity is what some consider an "old school" font, so is Athletic Block.
    Unless you are satin stitching the letters on the back I would recommend sticking with a thread color to match the letters. We do a lot of applique here and cut our own letters. We work up new designs for the store and from experimenting we have found that matching thread looks the best UNLESS you are going to satin stitch it.
    I would probably go with 4 inch letters and give it an arch.
    We have seen the no sew twill letters and haven't been very impressed with them- maybe we are just "old school" and like the real sewn look!
    The gray tonal on the front is going to look nice- we have one fraternity here that gets black on black and it does look good.
    Hope this helps!
    SharonA
    University Spirit

Comment

Thank you Sharon for replying, I was beginning to panic! I actually have the Roland-30 and my husband has gotten pretty good with doing the heat pressed vinyl stuff, just haven't taken a stab at the twill and sending it to the Amaya for stitching. Have you ever used Stahls or similar for the letters and a sew file? I haven't a clue what the first steps in this process is or how easy/difficult it may be the first time. How would you set the lettering for the sweatshirt? I was playing on design shop to get an idea of size and how to get it all on the front and have it look good. I put (1" size) OLYMPIC TRIALS at slight arch with CALI a bit bigger (1-1/2")in the middle and 2008 (1")at the bottom arched up. Am I in over my head here or will it be quite painless once I get what I need and start?
      Thanks soooo much for providing much more than 2 cents worth.
      Debbie
      Design Wizard Embroidery

Comment

Debbie, you are welcome.
        Are you sewing letters on the front or embroidering? The layout looks good.
        Sending the stitch file to your Amaya is very easy. Are you using 2 'puters? Just put it on a floppy and open it in design shop. Make sure your stitches are in the right order- we have 2 Iolines and sometimes the stitches come to me in the wrong order to be sewn- look at the stitches according to the color for the order they will sew in. Make sure your placement stitch is first- if not click on it and drag it up to the top. Then a color change then your zig-zag stitch. (I would definately cut this out of scrap and sew a test first to get comfortable with the technique). I spray the back of the letters with spray adhesive- we haven't used the pressure sensitive twill. When you load your machine colors first click on your garment color for your placement stitch- I believe you said blue, then click the APPLIQUE button. Don't forget this- the machine stops at this point for you to lay your letters down- and then click on your zig-zag stitch color. When you lay your letters down be careful not to press hard enough to loosen your fabric in the hoop- if you feel you need to press them down really hard support the jacket with your hand under it or take the hoop out completley and lay it on a flat surface to press the letters on. It is critical that you get the letters lined up exactly with the placement stitch. After you get them laid down push the green go button.
        I have worked with a Stahl's disc before. It's very easy. Just insert the disc and no worries about the stitches being in the worng order.
        You are not over your head here- I love doing applique and once you do it you'll get hung up on it, too. We carry over 100 diff fabrics & 30 diff colors of twill here and the design possibilities are endless. We do TONS of 2 color Greek appliques on hoodies- the girls spend hours picking fabric combinations and it is always fun to see the finished products.
        Good Luck -
        I am sure you will do fine
        -SharonA

Comment

Working...
        X