Making veins in leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making veins in leaves

If I have a filled object and want to put a stitch pt exactly in lines in certain places, how do I do that? If I have a leaf and want the stitch points to demark the veins in the leaf, can that be done?

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

I've done it for leaves and also birch tree trunks.
    After making the fill/background and major color areas, I use just a normal walk stitch and 'click click click' up the veins (or bark pattern). Anywhere I want a 'marked' point or a little wider
    area like curled bark or leaf veins, I just back up
    a small distance, click again, maybe another off at
    an angle, back to my 'vein' and continue up.
    I've tried 'bean stitch' but haven't figured out that crazy stitch yet. Last design I had someone else
    check for me, my bean count was way screwed up.
    I've done similar 'veining' on jeep designs I do for jeep clubs-to mark off the tire lugs for offroad big muddies...comes out great!

Comment

All right! I found how to do it. I knew I did this in class, but, even with the instructions, I kept missing the new toolbar that popped into existence.

So, I made my leaf, then clicked on the Insert Outline icon. That makes another toolbar pop up - I just didn't notice it before! The default is "hole", but I want the one that looks like a tree. On my leaf, I just click on all the veins I want and when I hit enter, there is a stitch point all along all the lines I just put in. Very cool, very subtle. Exactly what I was trying to do.

So, now to my real problem, I have two bands at the bottom neckline on a head that I wanted to "split" but with the "vein" technique. Some programs call this "carving". So I created only one object and used the vein technique to make a stitch point right across the middle so it looks like two bands. But the beauty of this is that the two bands will never seperate because of pull because the stitches go from one band to the other on each and every row of stitching. It looks like two bands, but is one band with with stitch points going down the middle (or where ever I put it.)

Juli in Kona
      Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Working...
      X