Do I use Fast Frames?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I use Fast Frames?

I have been asked to embroidery names on a duffel bag. I have a Red Amaya machine. Is it best to purchase the Fast Frames to do this type of job? If so, is it best to purchase it from Melco? I notice embroiderysupplies.com carries them but I didn't know if it would fit the particular machine I have. Any of your expertise is appreciated.
    Beckie Henderson<br />Bee-Utiful Creations

I have both FF and reg round hoops. I do not have the clamp hoops - Wish I did! I found that the slick vinyl will not stick well to anything I can use with the FF. I ended up using the reg round hoop. And that was a very spooky experience because it wants to pop apart. The hoop has to be very tight AND you have to watch it like a hawk. I would not spend the $$ on FFs for one or two bags. But do look at the clamping system for future jobs. If I had unlimited funds - or a lot of bags to do - that's what I'd get. But, alas, I don't.

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Juli is right. The clamp system is best and really easy to use but they are expensive. We don't use the stickly backing with the clamps and you would definitely need it with FF. If you purchase FF you might check and see if they have the backing that doesn't gum up the needles. If you get the older kind you have to clean the needles with alcohol after one of two bags. Purchase from the least expensive but consider shipping. MelcoMart ships free on Monday if a certain amount. Each dealer will ask what machine type you have and you will probably have to purchase extensions for the clamp system. FF have sizes that fit each machine type.
      Margaret
      Wishes In Stitches Embroidery<br />4502 W. Buffalo Street<br />Chandler, Arizona 85226<br />480-216-3163

Comment

The clamping system that Juli and Margaret are refering to is the Slim Line, which I have been using for about 1 1/2 years and COULD NOT live without. You can get it through Melco, which is a good idea since they sell it with the proper bracket on the back that attaches to an Amaya. It is a bit costly, $500. but very-very well worth it!!! I did 7 beach bags and 7 coolers in about an hour cuz you don't have to use any type backing on them. It's just so easy; open up the clamp, center, clamp down and embroider!! I now try really hard to push the totes, computer bags, blankets with the black flap on the front...etc!! Debbie in Indiana
        Debbie Rinehart<br />Deb\'z-N-Stitches

Comment

I've used the FF on bags and it worked pretty well, until I got my clamping system and I use it on everything I can because it's soooo easy. If you do have the funds, this week Melco Mart is having a once a year sale and everything in the catalog, including the clamping system, I
          know because I asked to get different sizes, is 20% off. Even the Hoopmaster. Great chance to get stocked up on some everyday things as well.
          Richard
          Richard Meier<br />Meier Custom Embroidery<br />Limon,CO

Comment

Floriani's sticky stabilizer sews like fabric and is much easier on the needles. Available from RNK Distributing.

Barb Bunker
            Broomfield, CO
            Barbara Bunker<br />BMB Custom Embroidery<br />Broomfield, Colorado

Comment

One more thing... FastFrames.com has clamps you can use to hold the fabric to the frame; i.e., canvas or anything that tries to pull away.

Barb
              Barbara Bunker<br />BMB Custom Embroidery<br />Broomfield, Colorado

Comment

Thank you for all your input - since I have 17 bags to do I'm going to look into the slim line from Melco. Thanks Roland for letting me know about the sale at Melco! This forum is great and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't learn something from someone. Thanks so much.

Comment

Richard talked about the sale...wasn't me! I'm just lurking in the background.
                  I'm going to look into the sale myself-we bought the yellow frame clamp system with only the 2 original sizes...and another size or two would definitely help! I even use the 6 x 5.5 size for doing knit 'beanies', scarfs, blankets...using a 'roll' of backing instead of cut sheets. Saves about 75% of the waste.
                  Roland

Comment

Your quite welcome. When you do order be prepared for 36 more spools of 1000m thread(you pick the colors) and another thread kit. I just ordered and didn't realize I was getting all of this free thread, like I need more. But non of the less it will get used.
                    Richard
                    Richard Meier<br />Meier Custom Embroidery<br />Limon,CO

Comment

Sorry about that Richard - I really appreciate your help - I was reading the Melco website and saw the sale - I'm assuming you can purchase the base clamping system and one window - I was looking at the 6 x 5.5 size since I have to embroider names across the top of the duffel bag.

Comment

Working...
                      X