Supplier Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplier Help

Does anyone know a good supplier for boyscout and girlscout uniforms?
    Andrew Langer<br />910-467-6161<br /><a href=\"http://www.boozehoundapparel.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.boozehoundapparel.com</a><br />[email protected]

Scout Uniforms can only be purchesed through the BSA organization-and affiliated Scout Stores. I don't know who to contact at BSA National to get set up, but I do know you cannot buy them if you do not have a full 'scout store'.
    Uniform requirements are very strict as for placement of patches, awards, etc.-and you cannot go off those requirements. There is NOTHING that gets directly embroidered-all the patches are supplied by BSA. The only 'outside' vendor work that can be used is 'patrol' patches, camporee, and event patches.
    BSA is VERY strict on this-the use of ANY related Boy Scout logo items is the only logo covered by a federal statute-set up years ago!
    Any scout or unit violating the uniform codes can have the patches removed-lose their uniforms, etc.-because of the rules.
    Trust me...I've been involved in scouting for over 25 years, and Uniform Inspections & requirements is one of my fields of expertise.
    Even 'used' uniforms (by BSA rules) are not supposed to be 'sold' at yard sales, through thrift shops, used for costumes, etc,-they are supposed to recycle them back into other scout units to pass on!
    If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly-I have the links (might need to be updated) to the uniform specs...and am one of the few in our 3 state area that's been given approval by 2 councils to do work scout work!

Comment

WOW! i did not know that the scout thing is so hard to do. Can I give you a call? I really want to be able to do work for the Scouts. I am doing work for the Legion in town. That is wear this Scout Master asked me to do the work. So, who do I call or what links do you have?

Thanks
      Andrew Langer<br />910-467-6161<br /><a href=\"http://www.boozehoundapparel.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.boozehoundapparel.com</a><br />[email protected]

Comment

Signman,

Maybe you can shed some light on something for me. A few weeks ago the Scouts at church had a pancake breakfast, I noticed that the flags on their right shoulder had the star field on the left. From everything I have read about properly displaying an American flag that is incorrect. Is it our local troop that has it wrong or do the Scout guidelines state they are to be displayed that way?

Thanks,

Steve I.
        Trinity Embroidery
        Steve I.<br />Trinity Emb

Comment

Hi Steve...this pops up around this time every year.
          It is not only Scout uniforms but military, police, etc. Yes, by federal guidelines the flag should ALWAYS be displayed with the star field on the right.I just did a quick google to see why the Boy Scouts do it this way...the reverse of what normally is required...and this popped up...

All Uniform Right Side U.S. Flag

Why Is the BSA's U.S. Flag Emblem Backwards?

A LOT of Scouts and Scouters (as well as military people!) have asked me:

why is the flag displayed with the union to the back of the right shoulder

This has gained SO MUCH of my personal mail over the last three months (partly because I am now on active duty in Kuwait; partly because of the nature of the question), that I will be adding it my Frequently Asked Questions at the end of this month (considering, of course, that I will STILL have Internet access by then).

Here's the bottom line:

# The Boy Scouts of America makes wearing of the U.S. Flag insignia an OPTIONAL ITEM. It has been this way since 1957, when the U.S. flag emblem was first added as a piece of BSA insignia in advance of the World Jamboree in Idaho in the early 60s.

# The Boy Scouts of America's National Uniform and Insignia Committee established HOW and WHERE the U.S. Flag insignia would be worn IF a Scout or Scouter chose to wear it on the official uniforms. It is worn on ALL UNIFORMS as the top-most piece of insignia on the RIGHT SHOULDER and no other location on an official BSA uniform, to include the red or blue jac-shirt and their lighter weight jackets. The Committee determined that since the U.S. Code does NOT specifically address the direction the flag should be worn on an article of clothing, that the flag would be worn as if you are looking at that flag from afar, with the stars to the rear.

# The Boy Scouts of America has NO PLANS to alter that flag emblem; and Scouts and Scouters should wear the U.S. Flag emblem as displayed in the BSA's Insignia Guide.

# With regard to "who's right," since the U.S. Code does not place in writing how our national flag would be worn on a uniform, both the military and the BSA (and other organizations) are absolutely correct. Each organization sets their own uniforming policies and it is NOT dictated by "congress" nor by anyone else other than that organization. Note that while the BSA is chartered through an act of Congress, that the BSA is free to provide their own policies concerning uniform and insignia wear without Congress' input (and this is a GOOD THING)!!

# Finally, Scouts and Scouters should be proud to wear our nation's flag on the uniform, but not all Scouts and Scouters can do this. So let's not be forcing kids and adults to do something which is against their moral or religious upbringing, okay?? There are several religious organizations and faiths who do NOT allow their members to wear anything which symbolizes an alliegence toward. These faiths and organizations believe that "God" or "Allah" is more important than "country" -- and this is EXACTLY WHY the BSA does NOT and WILL NOT make the wearing of the U.S. Flag emblem MANDATORY.

Hope that all of these points helps you and your Scouts in coming to grips with "why do the military wear the flag "backwards" and we in Scouting wear the flag "forwards".

(and for the record, I'm wearing my military desert battle uniform with the American flag *backwards* as prescribed by military policy!)

Comment

Dear Signman,
            Thanks for the information. I mostly want to thank you for your service. It's got to be hard to keep your business going while you are on active duty. If there is anything this list can do for you please let us know.
            Margaret
            Wishes In Stitches Embroidery<br />4502 W. Buffalo Street<br />Chandler, Arizona 85226<br />480-216-3163

Comment

It wasn't ME that is on active service-I copied the info on that persons' scout page he had set up...I guess he's a full time scouter in his spare time while he's not on active duty somewhere.
              Just passing on his notes...not taking any credit for it.
              I managed only 28 days in the Marines back in '72 before they shipped me home with a medical discharge. Didn't even finish basic training-spent a week of that time in sick bay!
              So I really appreciate what those guys and gals (my sister did a couple years in the army) go through!
              Any service people that come in here or my retail store get automatic deep discounts without even asking...our way of helping-knowing how little they get paid for what they do!

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughtful words. I am active duty military(army) have been for the last 15 yrs. I was going to answer the question about the flag and see that he gentleman where you got the information hit the nail on the head.
                You Gotta Love It!<br /><a href=\"http://www.elegant-embroidery.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.elegant-embroidery.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                X