Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please!

Hello everyone, I have a few questions and I hope someone could point me in the right direction. Ok, I have this sorority group that I help out on occassions well, they have these nylon jackets that they want embroidered. They also want the tackle twill letters on them also. Here is my dilema, I have never embroidered on anything like this before. I don't know what type of stabilizer to use or needles for that matter. Not sure if I should embroider through the lining or if I should take out a seam and just embroidered on the nylon itself. Also, where would I find these tackle twill letters? If anyone has any information on this please let me know.
    You Gotta Love It!<br /><a href=\"http://www.elegant-embroidery.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.elegant-embroidery.com</a>

You can get everything you need at stahls.com. They come precut in several different styles and colors. They can also sell you the stitch file.

Barb
    Barbara Bunker<br />BMB Custom Embroidery<br />Broomfield, Colorado

Comment

I use one piece of 2.5 oz. cut away backing for the applique of the names and numbers on the back or front. If they are getting numbers, names and nicknames on the back, as they do around here, you will be hooping the back 3 times. For the embroidery of the chapter and date on the sleeves I use 2 pieces of 2.5 oz. cutaway.
      Don't cut open a seam but keep an eye on what the lining is doing when you hoop- in our experience the lining is sometimes longer than the jacket so smooth it out and even it up top to bottom as best you can so you don't end up with a big bubble of lining at the hem.
      Are you putting 3 Greek vertical letters on the front? You will probably have to sew part of the pocket closed which has not been an issue with any fraternity or sorority we have worked with.
      Hope this helps-
      SharonAnn

Comment

ok, so use a 2.5 oz cut away stabilizer to hoop the back of the jacket. I don't think they are going to want anything on the sleeves. Will keep and eye on the lining. I am going to be using the tackle twill letters on the front hopefully they won't select a very large size. Thank you so much for this. I will try a to find a jacket to practice on.

Carolyn
        You Gotta Love It!<br /><a href=\"http://www.elegant-embroidery.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.elegant-embroidery.com</a>

Comment

Carolyn,
          I mistakenly told you to use 2.5 oz. cut-away backing for the jackets. I meant 2.0 oz.
          Around here they always go for the 4 inch on 4 1/2 inch letters for the front.
          A good place to find a jkt. to practice on is GoodWill. I have picked up several different items there for practice- sweaters, fleece, etc.
          Good Luck- SharonA

Comment

Ok Sharon, thank you so much I will look there to see what I can find. I planned to order all of my supplies next week. Will let you know how everything goes. Oh what about needles? would the regular 75/11 work well our should I be looking at something else.

Carolyn

Comment

A 75/11 should work fine. I honestly don't know what I sewed the last one with- we have 6 Amayas where I work and I tried at first to keep up with what size needle was where and with what color but I gave that up and just sew now and don't have a problem.
              I'm sure it will turn out fine.
              -SharonA

Comment

Thanks so much sharon, I took your advice and went to the goodwill, i got a jacket there for 3 bucks I will give this a try as soon as I find the design. When I looked at where you were from I only saw west lafayette at first. I thought boy she is in Louisiana but just now I saw the indiana! So you are not so close after all. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X