hooping bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hooping bags

Hi all I am new to embroidery. I am trying to hoop nylon/polyester bags with the plastic hoops that came with my machine and the bags keep popping out of the hoops halfway through the sew out. Any suggestions on how I can stop this. Thanks bill

If you mean tote bags, I run them on the speed frame (clamp system). Before I got that, I had to use the plastic hoops with adhesive backing cut in 1/2" wide strips and wrapped around the frame-like wrapping a tennis racquet. With the speed frame it takes mere seconds to throw a tote bag in-line the top (silver) frame with masking tape so you can make reference marks to line it up faster.
    Tried the fast frame (using adhesive backing) and too many of them popped off-ended up using wedge (paper) clamps to hold them down. Getting the speed frame system solved everything. Totes, knit hats, beanies, even did a computer bag this week.
    Scarfs, stadium blankets, scout neckerchiefs...all so easy now.

Comment

I do a lot of bags. Same bag lol - I buy it from Sanmar - 100 percent poly, vinyl lining etc many colors good sized and very durable - washable, very reasonable. Port & Co Essential Tote

Anyway, I had same prob so I looked at Melcomart hoops and ended up buying the EMC 11" square single height hoop. (now I have 2 of them) I also had to initially buy the conversion bracket which I didn't think was too bad.. price wise.

Okay, then it came and we figured it out and it wants to set abt 1-2" off the throat plate and bounces like a mad man when it sews.

I mostly sew 8x8 designs in it.. so I went this is not a good thing at all. Racquet drives me nuts to begin with and I just didn't like the bounce thing.

So my granddaughter (17 then) came in with a 7 oz box wrench tied to a ribbon lol and hung it on the hoop screw which is exposed with this hoop - it is on the top. It pulled it slightly down and quit the bouncing and altho I've heard people say they slow way down etc - I don't --1250 spm - it goes and sews great. I feel like since it is only a total weight of a pound and 3/4s with the bag, hoop, wrench etc that certainly that hoop and conversion bracket ought to stand that. I've been using it for coming up on 2 yrs. No problems.

You do have to reach inside the bag and twist your hand a little to change the bobbin.. you'll see what I mean if you try it.

I thought of buying some of the hooping gadgets to allow me to do this but they were all a lotta more $ than what I did and since I do a lot of bags it seemed like a good way to try first. If I would have had a other ways to use them that I felt I needed I wld have tried the more expensive things.

It also allows you to put a good sized design on children's jacket backs etc.. with very little struggle to hoop or sew (as long as the wrench is on the ribbon there). So I've ended up using them a lot and have been very happy with it.

Hope this helps!
      Jill
      Jill<br />SE Colorado

Comment

Hey Jill,
        If you are finding that your hoop doesn't sit flat on top of the needle plate (or "throat plate"- that just doesn't sound comfortable to me), then I believe you are in need for some sort of adjustment. When any hoop sits idle on your machine, the underside of the hoop should sit flat to the top of the needleplate. If not, you run the risk of thread breaks in addition to the annoying sound that it makes. Wrench hanging from a ribbon sounds cool but is simply a band-aid for the correct setting.
        Best of luck.

Ed
        -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Working...
        X