American Flag on Sleeve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Flag on Sleeve

Question - I have a client who wants an American Flag on the sleeve of their company work jackets. Is there flag etiquette that says how far down on the sleeve the flag should be? I am sure someone has run into this before.
    Thanks,
    Natalie
    Gail Force Designs

I don't know about placement but I read somewhere (in the last year, I think) that there is a protocol about how the flag faces. Im guessing the stripes face forward, so if you were to put the flag on both sleeves, one would have to be reversed. If someone who knows the protocol would chime in, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I have a brother who is a retired Air Force officer, and I can ask him.

Barb Bunker
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Barbara Bunker<br />BMB Custom Embroidery<br />Broomfield, Colorado

Comment

Hello
      If you're putting the flag on the right sleeve its reversed. Left sleeve would have the stars to your back if you're wearing the jacket.

Peter
      Gail Force Designs

Comment

Thanks for the info.
        Barb

Comment

Yes, this was brought up before. I had posted links to VFW etiquette rules. On uniforms, the stars are always 'forward', so one side would be reversed. It has to be placed so that when the person is walking forward, the stripes go to the back-signifying that the flag is moving forward (in battle). If you have the stripes facing forward and the stars to the rear-that signifies retreat...not acceptable.
          That's the easiest way to explain it.
          Otherwise-if on a jacket front or back-the stars are always to the left, stripes to the right.

Comment

Thanks, I had read on line about which way the flag should face, but couldn't find anywhere about positioning on the sleeve. I know on other items we usually go about 6 inches down from the shoulder seam, but I was not sure if the flag had specific positioning.
            Thanks,
            Natalie

Comment

Thanks for the correction, obviously I had it backwards.

Barb

Comment

Working...
              X