Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I ensure uniform lettering height

Good Morning,
    I have been working with a detailed digitization that includes the Maryland flag and some text. When I work with 3 different fonts (Melco Block, Open Block and Copperplate-Dak) in the .3 - .4 inch range, I get different letter heights within the same word on my stitch out. The rounded letters (Q, O, etc) are shorter then the straight letters (T, E, etc) and the straight colomn letters (I, V, etc) are taller than all the other letters. I imagine this is a compensation issue, but is there a rule of thumb regarding how much to compensate for different letters/fonts? Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Chris

In the majority of fonts, the 'round' letters (Q, O, C, etc.) will be slightly taller than straight letters. The ones you mention fall in this range. But sewing them out-the pull of the thread against the weave of the material can distort this. Pull comp adjustment helps, but if it doesn't work for each letter, you can 'click' on the individual letters in Design Shop window and adjust them to fit the material you are working on. Make sure you use the exact same backing, top solvy if used, and material to do all test sewouts. What works perfect on a pique polo may be totally screwed up on sweatshirt or fleece. Do a sewout first 'as is', then adjust pull comp if needed, and then test again. Now go back and 'stretch' the letters that need it-and run another test. It may take a few tests but when you get it perfect it will look great and worth the time.

Comment

Hi Chris,
      The problem you are seeing is caused by push. Columns push out at the top and bottom making letters like H, I and V push out above and below the line. Letters like T and P push out only below the line, and L and U only push out above the line because the horizontal columns on the top/bottom have pull that keeps them in line with the other lettering.
      The only way to correct for push is to use fonts that are digitized to compensate for push or digitize the lettering manually.
      A way to tell if a keyboard font compensates for push is to look at the wireframe of the letters. If they don't line up horizontally, you've got a winner.
      If you want to edit the lettering for push, try shortening the "legs" of the vertical columns about .1 mm.
      Hope this makes sense.
      Mary
      Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Working...
      X