Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper waste

Dear List,
    Can anyone explain why tissue paper is inserted into shirts and between shirts? I understand plastic products that stick together. When doing a large number of shirts you end up with a stack of paper waste and in our community it isn't recycleable because it gets caught in the conveyor belts in the sorting machines. If this isn't really necessary could we try to get the apparel industry to change this procedure? It would save a lot of trees and a lot of time?
    Margaret
    Wishes In Stitches Embroidery<br />4502 W. Buffalo Street<br />Chandler, Arizona 85226<br />480-216-3163

Margaret,
    I have often pondered that same point. And, although I can't figure out why they do it with the "single-packed" shirts, I think they do it with the dozens and half-dozens to keep the buttons from one shirt from rubbing a shiny spot on it's neighbors back.
    Greg
    Gregory

Comment

In my own opinion, there's tons more waste by a lot of embroiderers who buy their backing materials pre-cut to specific sizes, use the piece once, then throw it away. We buy our various backings in rolls, cut off pieces we need and use every scrap until it's too small to hoop. I don't really see the need for the piece of tissue paper in the shirts either....it's relatively pointless :-/
      Embroidery

Embroidery Digitizing

T Shirts

Comment

The reason paper is inserted is to avoid static cling and to avoid wrinkles during shipment.

Comment

Also, Sometimes the polyester thread used in the seams and hems will "sublimate" when garments are packed in the mills, so the paper protects the fabric from picking up the color.

Ian

Comment

Haha So, basically the there are no decent reasons. The paper that they put in there is so small, there's no way it protects all the parts of the garment that come in contact with the thread. Plus, what about where the thread is actually stitched through the garment? Wouldn't they worry about the thread sublimating into the fabric at the seams? As far as static cling, tissue paper is NOT going to prevent static, especially when it's a fleece jacket. Also, I haven't gotten one garment without wrinkles. If it's folded, it's going to have wrinkles. The paper is there just to humor people :-D
            Embroidery

Embroidery Digitizing

T Shirts

Comment

Why not reuse it as packing material when shipping items out? If you don't ship anything, I'm sure you know someone that does and they'll most likely be happy to take it off your hands.

Comment

Working...
              X