Rush fees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush fees?

I know everyone has this problem. A customer wants everything NOW. What do you all charge for rushing a job through production? I want something for my frustration however don't want to over charge the customer. I want something fair for both parties. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
    Jamie

I have bronze castings done through a foundry-just sent in 2 orders. They are normally on a 3 week production schedule.
    Their 'rush charges'...
    3 week guarantee 20% or $30 minimum
    2 week rush 30% or $40 minimum
    6 workday rush 50% or $60 minimum

I have other companies for specialty goods that will do anywhere from 24 hour rush to 5 day or so-and generally there is about a 50% surcharge of the normal order. Some add $100-$150 charge.
    I have rarely done a 'rush charge' but sometime you just have to do it-because you are going out of your way and bumping someone else's order. So I may bump up the order 10%, or just add in $50 or so for the 'inconvenience'. However-there ARE certain customers-we all have them-that automatically assume THEY are our most valued accounts and DEMAND that I drop everything to deal with them immediately! I have 3 or 4 of these-and my wife now knows that when they come in or call, we 'already' are BOOKED UP for the next week and will call THEM when I can take a few minutes away from SOMEONE ELSE"S ORDER I AM WORKING ON. I won't even talk to them-I get busy on the computer or make noise in the back room-anything to show them I am BUSY and THEY have to wait. It's as bad as the person with a full grocery cart in the 10 items or less lane that is also parked in the handicapped parking spot because 'they'll just be a minute' Too bad...my life doesn't revolve around THEM!
    Don't worry about 'overcharging' the customer-YOU are the one that has to deal with everyone ELSE that wonders why THEIR order is delayed! Setup a chalkboard with all 'orders in progress' on it-and add this 'can't wait' customer to THE BOTTOM of it-and show them-when you finish everything ABOVE them, then it's THEIR turn!
    But remember-you will get 'emergency orders' from other accounts that you will do immediately-I'm waiting for artwork for a digital banner that is needed by a non-profit group tomorrow-they didn't know they had to have it until yesterday. Good group, good people, AND they said PLEASE!!!

Roland

Comment

I want to say to customers that "Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part" however I don't think they would like that. Thanks for your help as usual.

Comment

I have heard everything from doubling to tripling the price is common practice. I do neither. I'm honest about my present turnaround and either it's acceptable to them or not. Usually they decide they can wait after all.

GF

Comment

Jamie,
          Business is all about negotiations. You recall in high school,... "Supply and Demand".
          At our shop, we take in somewhere between 30 to 50 pieces per day. When we offered a "rush fee" of $5 and later $10, we had about a 10 to 15% of our customers willing to pay the rush fee and we found ourselves at the shop late all the time telling ourselves it wasn't worth the money. So we upped our rush fee to $20 per order (not to exceed three pieces) and it's not so bad staying late to do the work or even finding an employee willing to make the extra money in overtime.
          Of course, if it's a good customer who brings us consistent work, we reserve the right to wave the rush fee.
          Ed
          -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Working...
          X