Another beginner struggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another beginner struggle

I have a design which I had an outside source digitize and which sews out perfectly on backing. When I sew on a polo with the same backing, the design shrinks so that the design overall appears thinner. I have tried adding 2 layers of topping which helped, but did not cure the problem. I am using a fairly heavy backing.

I can change the lettering using the pull comp, but am unable to change the logo part of the design with the standard design software.

I don't understand why it works on the backing but looks so different when applied to a shirt.

Any help[ appreciated.
    Bill

Are you using Design Shop? If its a design sent to you in exp or dst format just click the part of the design or all of the design you need to widen and right click it then go to properties. Under Scale you can change the column width adjustment by either points or % (I usually widen by 1-3 points depending on design) and under that is a place where you can compensate for fill stitches
    Aaron Sargent<br />Pegboard<br />541-727-1440

Comment

Topping won't solve your problem and neither will backing. Your problem is underlay and fill density. Remember that a polo shirt is a knit shirt that will shift and pucker. You have to have a good base (underlay) to start with and your fill will have to be slighter denser than for a woven shirt.

To solve your problem you need to adjust (increase) the underlay and fill properties of your design and perhaps add some edge walk properties. See Aaron's post above.

In the future demand your designs in exp format so that you can edit them if needed. Remember, you are buying the design and the digitizers experience, so get what you pay for. You should also request the digitizer "design" for a particular fabric. It's been said over and over that you can't sew the same design on multiple fabrics without changing a few things. Your's is a classic example.

Comment

I appreciate the response.

I have been using the column width adjustment using percent but I tried points and it works a lot better for me. I guess you can fine tune better with percent, but I nornally use points in a lot of grahic work already so it's easier to visualize the changes.

I have the file in .dst and it allows extended editing if I understand it correctly, but the graphic part of the design that I needed to change will not adjust (a simple V shape). I have Design Shop but not the Pro Edition.

I also cleaverly discovered I was sewing out the design on a 60/40 instead of the all cotton shirt I am actually using. When I sewed on the correct material it came out much better, but still needs some adjustment in the "V" part of the design.

Looks like I need to learn at least the basics of the digitizing process to survive. I had hoped to avoid this as I am already dealing with trying to keep up with Photoshop, Corel Draw, Dreamweaver and more.

Being new to doing embroidery in house, although I knew that the fabric made a difference, I didn't realize it could be so dramatic.

I have sent the file back for editing to the digitizing company.

Thanks again.
        Bill

Comment

Working...
        X