Hoop mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoop mark

I remember the instructor talking about wrapping something around the hoop so it doesn't leave marks, but I can't remember what he used. I am doing polo shirts and it is leaving marks. What do you use?
    Thanks!
    Cindy

I use a shot of steam afterward. Takes the mark right out.... BUT try it on a test shirt first.

Comment

You can use 'binding tape'- kind of a light guaze, but it doesn't stick well.
      I use strips of adhesive backing-cut it to match the height of the hoop, and press it around the inside of the top, and outside of the bottom. Acts as a 'grabber' for slippery material, and holds the hoop on other stuff without leaving a mark.
      The 'mark' is really nothing more than the shirt material being compressed. Makes it look shiny. We mostly grab the bottom hem or sleeve cuff and rub it against the 'hoop burn' and it loosens up the shiny mark without leaving an color behind. Steaming works great also if you have one of those little hand held 'travel steamer'.
      Once the shirt is worn or washed it disappears anyways.

Comment

Robert our instructor in Denver showed us how to get rid of the burn marks by spraying the area with sizing. Majic sizing is found with the spray startch. Most burn marks are removed with one light spray some takes 2 but it is amazing how well it works.

Curtis

Comment

my guess is that you were looking for bias tape?

on the hoop burn issue... we find spraying a fine mist of water takes care of it most times.
          John Yaglenski
          Amayausers.com - Webmaster
          Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
          Hilton Head Island, SC
          http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

It may have been vet wrap .It is kind of like an ace bandage only thiner and it sticks to itself. You wrap the inner hoop all the way around. Some of the hoops I have came with it . It comes in loads of colors I would use white. You find it in tack shops e . Y

Comment

Hi all,

I do something different to prevent hoop burns--usually only with things like velour and such; for regular polo shirts, Magic Sizing (available at Walmart), really does do the trick. Anyway, I use a piece of tearaway backing on top, hoop, then usually cut (not tear) out a hole to stitch through.

It just seems to me that putting tape on the hoop would work better to hold slippy fabrics (like nylon) rather than put more bulk in the hooping process.

Only my 2 cents.

Dorothy Compton, Owner
              Bee Embroidered
              www.BeeEmbroidered.com
              (916) 635-7467
              Rancho Cordova, CA
              Dorothy Compton, Owner<br />Bee Embroidered<br /><a href=\"http://www.BeeEmbroidered.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.BeeEmbroidered.com</a><br />(916) 635-7467

Comment

Magic Sizing does great for virtually anything cotton or cotton/poly blend. I tried tape and found that over time it would come off and leave adhesive on the garment. Much more difficult to get off than hoop burn.

Just remember that leathers and nylons can "burn" permanently if your hoops are too tight. Definitely try the other methods mentioned for these fabrics. Magic Sizing won't help you there (at least it hasn't worked for me.)

Using a tear-away top-backing should work nicely. Good tip.

Comment

I think the tape you're talking about is an athletic wrap that comes in several colors. I found it at Walgreen's in the adhesive bandage area.

Barb Bunker
                  Barbara Bunker<br />BMB Custom Embroidery<br />Broomfield, Colorado

Comment

Working...
                  X