How to use Magna-glide bobbins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use Magna-glide bobbins?

Is there anything different in how these are used?
    What about the tension spring - should it be looser than usual?
    Thank,
    Kerry

Hi Kerry,
    If the tension spring is the thing-a-ma-bob inside the bobbin case, it is supposed to be removed when using magna core bobbins.

Mary
    Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Roland has corrected me. The thing inside the bobbin case is NOT the tension spring.
      I just found it... it's called a backlash spring. It's a disc that fits inside the bobbin case. If you have one of those, they should be removed when using magna core bobbins. That's the only difference I know of.

By the way, bobbin cases with the backlash spring cost a few dollars more that the ones without.
      Mary
      Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Thanks Mary

Comment

Are the magna bobbins worth the extra cost???
          Jody Dellinger<br /><a href=\"http://www.u-create-it.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.u-create-it.com</a>

Comment

They are trouble free and you can use them down to the last inch. But other bobbins work well too. I started with the Magna Glides and have continued to use them.

Juli in Kona
            Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Hey guys,
              The little piece of "disc spring like material" that sometimes comes inside of the bobbin case is actually called the "anti-backlash spring".
              Reason Why:
              In the days where folks would actually use bobbins they would wind themselves, they would spool the bobbin thread onto a metal spool. With newer embroidery machines sewing at today's high speeds, this metal spool has the tendency to continue spinning on it's own after the embroidery machine stops on a dime. This anti-backlash sping is designed to put a small amount of "side load" pressure against the metal spool to act as a brake of sorts.

Hence, if you aren't using the metal bobbin spools, you need to remove the anti-backlash spring out of the inside of the bobbin case with a small screwdriver. It simply pops out. If not, it can actually shave bits of cardboard off the side of the cardboard sided bobbins and also inhibit the way the magnet on the magna glide bobbin is supposed to "stick" to the inside of the bobbin case.

Ed Orantes
              -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Working...
              X