Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patches

Need direction on best way to make patches.
    I am using black canvas as base material

I'm getting ready to make a few patches. This is the first time I've made them in volume. The customer is not interested in a merrowed edge so here's what I am going to do:
    Create design. Add a run-stitch border outline 1 mm inside finished edge; duplicate this run-stitch border (used for placement); add a centered zig-zag outline .40mm inside finished edge and (used for tack-down); then add a 3.5mm satin-stitch border to create the finished edge. I use edge run and double zig-zag underlay under the satin stitch.

First hooping: stitch design and first run-stitch border. Stop the machine. Remove design from hoop and cut it out (carefully) using the run-stitch border as a guide.

Second hooping: Hoop white wash-away tear-away stabilizer. Stitch second run-stitch border. Remove hoop from the machine and lightly spray the stabilizer with 505 adhesive and allow to dry a bit. Place cut out patch onto the stabilizer using the run-stitch as a guide.
    Stitch zig-zag (tack-down) border, then the satin stitch border. Remove from hoop and tear away excess stabilizer.

You may have to play with the width and placement of all the borders. I will say that it will be challenging to manually cut out the patches and get them perfect, but the objective is to support the satin-stitch border as much as possible with the patch fabric. So it is important to have the edge of the cut-out to be as close to the outer edge of the satin stitch border without poking out beyond the stitching. Be aware that the patch will "shrink" a little when it comes out of the first hooping, so your set-back for your run-stitch may be smaller than you think it should be. But the "placement" run-stitch border shouldn't be any closer to the edge than 1 mm.

Good luck. Call me if this is clear as mud and think I can help.
    Mary
    Shuffletown Embroidery
    704-398-1273

PS: My patches are small, so I plan to do several in a single hooping.
    Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Mary....sounds good. We do something similar. We have a laser so we use presure sensative twill. Using the EPS or CDR file (vector) used to cut the patch we open Design Shop and applique the patch from the vector file.
      Digital Stitchz / LaserWorkz<br />905 Texas Street<br />Fairfield, CA 94533<br />707-426-9963<br /><br />Embroidery, Screenpriinting, laser engraving and banners<br /><br />We keep you in STITCHZ, make your life colorful & your business more visible.

Comment

I would LOVE to have a cutter. It's on my list.

Mary
        Mary Buckle, Charlotte, NC

Comment

Working...
        X