How to Store Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Store Threads

We've run into a new problem - since we've added our Amayas last year, we are now buying our threads four cones per color (one for each head) instead of just the one we've been doing for years.

Now we're running out of room to put them all! Wall racks are not an option since all of our wall space is already used. We've tried rubbermaid bins, but the spools roll around too much and it's a treasure hunt anytime we need a certain color thread.

Any suggetions?
    Kip Biddle, partner<br />Brookside Designs<br />Dansville, New York

We are working on a solution right now
    and have it mostly done. We are using 10" pegboard hooks and standard pegboard to hold
    all our thread. We are using the ARC system and
    it holds all 288 colors in an area 22" high by 46" wide. we also have 4 machines and then slide on all 4 spools of each color onto each hook.
    (Mini spools by the way - 1000M) My goal is to build a freestanding 4 sided spinner with the sides made of pegboard that can stand in my embroidery area. at 12" wide and 24" high it would be small enough to not eat a lot of room but would be able to hold all there standard colors in this manner and rotate for easy access.
    I'd send photos but we can't post photos anywhere on this site or the list. I got the hooks at a retail supply company at $20 per 100 so for $60 and some pegboard we are doing fine.
    we also used some pre-punched price tags or repair tickets whch are basically a business card with a hole at one end that I slid on each hook first that has the color number so when they aren't on the hook I can see where they go.
    Hope this makes sense, the smallest thread holder is around
    $60 bucks and it only holds 3o to 50 spools.
    so like you I needed an alternative.
    Good Luck,
    Ron - Body Cover
    Ron Vinyard<br />Body Cover Design<br /><br />Grants Pass, Oregon

Comment

I only buy 1000 meter cones because they use up a lot less storage space. (Except black and white, I buy 5000 meter spools of those.) I have a thread holder that holds about 100 spools of the small cones. I believe Maderia sells thread holders.

Comment

I also used peg board to make a thread holder. Instead of hooks I bought dowel rod and cut them to be about 3 inches long. I used Gorilla Glue to glue the pegs in to the peg board. As they started to dry, I lightly tapped them upwards to put a little slope on them. Works great!

Comment

Working...
        X