Magnetic vs. Non-magnetic Bobbin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic vs. Non-magnetic Bobbin

Hi everyone! I've only been doing embroidery a few months, but I've been having an issue with our bobbins. We started out with normal bobbins from Madeira (by the way, I'm using an Amaya XTS), and I didn't really have any tension problems. However, we recently switched to magnetic bobbins, and I can't go through any project now without numerous stitches pulling up from the bobbin thread not catching. Is there any setting I can change? We're currently running Design Shop Pro+. I check the tension with one of our normal bobbins, and even when it seems fine it's still pulling up. Thanks for reading!

Jennifer

I have found my particular XTS is quite sensitive to bobbins. It may be that every machine is different by just a minor variation. My machine will be very happy with superior threads prewound bobbins, but does not seemingly like magnetic or madeira or exquisite or coats and clark.
    Once I found which brand worked best for me, I purchased several basic colors and don't worry with the other brands. I sold the other bobbins that were too frustrating with many thread breaks, a move I highly recommend if you are unsuccessful with a brand. Someone out there will need and want that brand for their machine!

Comment

Are you backing the tension off on the magnetics?
      Herb<br />Royal Embroidery

Comment

I was using magnetic bobbins on my emt16 and my dealer made me switch to Coats brand and seems to be sewing better

Comment

i forgot to mention i change my bobbin case also and made a big difference

Comment

Honestly, forget about the magnetic bobbins - not needed with the actifeed system and a waste of money.
            John Yaglenski
            Amayausers.com - Webmaster
            Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Originally posted by HERB View Post
              Are you backing the tension off on the magnetics?
              I've been matching the tension, honestly. I'll give loosening it a go. I didn't actually go through the Melco training for the machine and kind of got thrown into this. We do a lot of garments for local businesses.

I'll request to go back to the former bobbins. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Jennifer

Comment

I know that most feel the magnetic bobbins are not necessary.
                and that may be true.
                HOWEVER
                I have been using bobbin centrals magna core bobbins for about 7 years and
                I would never go back to coats or madeira bobbins.
                this is just my humble opinion.
                I hate the magnetic sided bobbins
                I have not had a tension issue or need to adjust
                any of my 15 bobbin cases in the time I have used the magna cores.
                [email protected]
                Jerome in Minnesota
                (320)259-1151

Comment

There should be no tension from the spring on the thread. The magnet is what gives you the tension.
                  Herb<br />Royal Embroidery

Comment

Actually not, it prevents backlash and guides the spring to keeping much better consistent tension.
                    but you still need tension from the flat spring it is just much more forgiving...
                    [email protected]
                    Jerome in Minnesota
                    (320)259-1151

Comment

Working...
                    X