Making letters/monograms bold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making letters/monograms bold.

I am new to DS. And Amaya. In fact, my machine ships out this week. I've been trying to learn the software via videos. I have been trying to find out how to make the letters of a monogram bolder. Not necessarily denser. I have been trying to make the "Classic Monogram" bolder, specifically. when I did the test stitch out, the scrollwork and the letters were way too thin. Help!!! Thanks!!

use pull comp to thicken them up. comp setting.JPG
    Last edited by Lurkin; 03-30-2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Most all of the alphabets will benefit from adding pull compensation.
      I have found a good rule of thumb is to make the letters look good on the screen then add 4 more points and your good to start.
      I have also found that adding points not percentage is best.
      play with it and you will see.
      [email protected]
      Jerome in Minnesota
      (320)259-1151

Comment

Dear Christmasbelle,
        Since you are very new you might consider going to training if you have not already signed up for it. There is so much to this sofeware and you will be amazed at how much will be covered that wasn't available in the videos.
        Wishes In Stitches Embroidery<br />4502 W. Buffalo Street<br />Chandler, Arizona 85226<br />480-216-3163

Comment

Originally posted by Wishes View Post
          Dear Christmasbelle,
          Since you are very new you might consider going to training if you have not already signed up for it. There is so much to this sofeware and you will be amazed at how much will be covered that wasn't available in the videos.
          Having just purchased the machine and the software, the $$$ are a bit steep - and Denver is a long, expensive way away.
          I hope to be able to do that sometime in the not too distant future

Comment

Which version do you use? the only place I see to add points is column width, which distorts that Classic Monogram.

Comment

I agree with Jerome, adding by points rather than by percentage is the way to go. I also find that about 4 points usually does the trick. It won't look right on screen, but it will embroider out nicely. I would tell you how I do this, but I have such an old version of DS Pro+ that it probably wouldn't apply.

Don't despair if you can't afford the training. Although it would have helped a lot, it was not an option for me either. Be prepared to spend a lot of time learning. I'm an "instruction book reader" type of person but still had to make lots of learning-curve mistakes and I'm still learning; the folks on this site have been so helpful and generous with their time and experience. The first thing I do when I have a question is start searching for posts with relevant information.

Comment

I will use the example of a coke bottle shape. If, at the fattest portion of the bottle, it measures 100 inches and at its thinnest portion it measures 10 inches and we want to add 10% to the width. 10% of 100 is 10=110 inches---10% of 10 is 1 =11 inches. Therefore, the fatter portion is growing 10 times faster then the skinny portion. The column can quickly become distorted in some lettering or column designs.

Offset ( points ) is much different. I you add 1 point of offset, you will add 1 point of width to each side of the column equally for the entire length of the column regardless of fat or skinny areas in the column for a total growth of 2 points in width. If you add 4 offset points, then the total growth would be 8 points.

On the same page where % and offset is found is another very important tab named "Minimum column width". This is where you can control the "minimum" width of any column. If you were to input 10 points in this box then there will not be any place in the design column or lettering or columns in a monogram that will be less than 10 points wide. If you input 15, 20, or whatever number you designate, then the column is regulated to that width.

I usually use a combination of both % and offset and minimum column width. The exception would be in a straight block font or design where the column width is constant.

Hope this helps folks to understand this subject a little bit better....

Rod Springer
                Amaya Tech & Trainer
                Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Originally posted by Rod or Sharon View Post
                  I will use the example of a coke bottle shape. If, at the fattest portion of the bottle, it measures 100 inches and at its thinnest portion it measures 10 inches and we want to add 10% to the width. 10% of 100 is 10=110 inches---10% of 10 is 1 =11 inches. Therefore, the fatter portion is growing 10 times faster then the skinny portion. The column can quickly become distorted in some lettering or column designs.

Offset ( points ) is much different. I you add 1 point of offset, you will add 1 point of width to each side of the column equally for the entire length of the column regardless of fat or skinny areas in the column for a total growth of 2 points in width. If you add 4 offset points, then the total growth would be 8 points.

On the same page where % and offset is found is another very important tab named "Minimum column width". This is where you can control the "minimum" width of any column. If you were to input 10 points in this box then there will not be any place in the design column or lettering or columns in a monogram that will be less than 10 points wide. If you input 15, 20, or whatever number you designate, then the column is regulated to that width.

I usually use a combination of both % and offset and minimum column width. The exception would be in a straight block font or design where the column width is constant.

Hope this helps folks to understand this subject a little bit better....

Rod Springer
                  Amaya Tech & Trainer
                  Thanks so much! Here's the thing: the Classic Monogram letters have points. when you add points, the design loses the point. If you leave it as is, it is not bold enough to stitch out well. I'm sure there's a way to do it, but it hasn't found its way into my brain yet! I must admit, I'm spoiled by Monogram Wizard. It's idiot proof. Sadly, my client wants the Classic Monogram and its for multiple monograms.........
                  I'll try all of the suggestions above and let you know how it works!!

Thanks, all!

Comment

I'm not sure what you're trying these suggestions on if you haven't received your machine yet. If you're just playing with how they look on screen, you won't have a true picture of how they'll embroider out.

Try Rod's suggestion on your Amaya before you despair. Pointed tips should still stay nice and pointy because 4 points is less than half a millimeter. Most of my designs have lots of pointed tips and they still look good. The pull comp is exactly what it says - compensation for the fact that stitching tends to stitch out a bit narrower in the direction of the stitch, so it merely makes the design sew out as originally intended, i.e. without pull comp, a 3" x 3" box might sew out at only 2.875" in the direction of stitching or a .25" column might sew out at .20". Incidentally, it may help to know that 10 points = 1 millimeter and 254 points = 1 inch.

Comment

Another "incidentally"... you won't go wrong following the advice of either Rod and Sharon or Jerome; they are senior, active members of the list and really know what they are talking about!

Comment

Originally posted by Mama Kass View Post
                        Another "incidentally"... you won't go wrong following the advice of either Rod and Sharon or Jerome; they are senior, active members of the list and really know what they are talking about!
                        Thanks! I always take in the advice/counsel of experienced folks!

Comment

Working...
                        X