Colored Bobbin thread for an Amaya XT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colored Bobbin thread for an Amaya XT

I would like to do a quilt on my XT but really need to be able to use colored thread in my bobbin. I am not opposed to purchasing prewound colored bobbins- just am not sure where to get them and it anyone has done this. I don't by any means want to have a service call out of this.
    There are so many wonderful quilt in the hoop patterns out there surely someone has an answer to this question

Years ago we had to use colored bobbin thread on reversible t's, and we had to wind our own. I just ordered the 60 weight poly, and wound them on the aluminum bobbins that came with the Tajima that we had at that time. I am pretty sure you will need bobbin case(s) with the backlash springs inside- I did.
    Gregory

Comment

Just wind your own bobbins using a standard sewing machine or purchase a dedicated bobbin winder. If you normally use nebs plastic bobbins, you could reuse them to load colors...
      John Yaglenski
      Amayausers.com - Webmaster
      Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
      Hilton Head Island, SC
      http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Not sure why you would need backlash springs...
        John Yaglenski
        Amayausers.com - Webmaster
        Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
        Hilton Head Island, SC
        http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

You can wind quilt thread (i.e., King Tut, YLI, etc.) on a metal L-bobbin. However, I would recommend buying another L-style bobbin case which tension has been adjusted specifically for a certain thread type so you don't have to readjust the bobbin case tension back and forth when you switch have to switch back to embroidery bobbin thread. They are so cheap....I bought three bobbin cases for under $8 each to use with different thread types. Just make sure you mark them with a permanent marker so you know which bobbin case is used for which type of thread.

If you have the metal bobbins for the Bernina 1630, 180E, 200E, or 730E, these will work in your Amaya bobbin case.

By the way, you can also use the same thread for the top as well. I have had no problems with them.

Enjoy!

Ed Roux

Comment

Use your bobbin case WITHOUT the backlash spring.

Also from another quilter, you may want to get the Slimline 2 bracket with the 12x9 and 12x5 windows. You won't need backing if you stitch your quilt with batting (i.e., Warm and Natural) using the hoops or the Slimline windows.

Ed Roux

Comment

I need the L style cases and I use the prewound- so can I use the plastic bobbin cases from Neb- What does it mean to use the bobbin case without the backlash spring?
              Sorry or the ignorance- I am new

Comment

I recently did a king sized quilt on my Amazing Amaya quilting machine. I have the metal L bobbins, and a bobbin winder. I can wind for you if you need me to, or I can sell you the empty bobbins. If there is a JoAnn's by you, you can get a small bobbin winder for about $30. My e-mail is [email protected]. I used regular pre-wound L bobbins with regular quilting thread up top (tex50) to get the desired amount of tone-on-tone show.

Comment

Hi allstitchedup,

The bobbins we use for the Amaya XT do not have the backlash spring inside it. It looks like a crescent-shaped spring (see http://www.allstitch.net/media/pdf/s...hecklist.pdf).

These are the L-style bobbin cases I bought for $4.99 each that work http://www.allstitch.net/product/sta...le-l-1719.cfm. You'll see they do not have the backlash spring inside.

Ed Roux

Comment

Allow me to clarify a little on this "Backlash Spring" topic,

Actually, it's referred to as an "Anti - Backlash Spring" and it can sometimes be inside of a bobbin case when you purchase it or sometimes not, depending on who you buy your bobbin cases from.
                    When you get a bobbin case from Melco, there is not such spring in their bobbin cases as Melco doesn't recommend the use of one with prewound cardboard sided bobbins.
                    So what is it, you ask?
                    As Ed said, it's a funny looking flat piece of thin steel that is in the shape of a "C" or crescent that clips inside the back wall of the bobbin case. I guess you could say that is has somewhat of a slight bow in it so that the side of this flat steel rubs against the side of the bobbin spool when sewing.
                    The purpose for this ANTI-Backlash spring is that when using, the metal bobbin spools (common when winding your own bobbins), and today's high speed embroidery/sewing machines, the metal bobbin spool will have the tendency to continue spinning a little even after the machine has stopped sewing (known as over spin or backlash) allowing the bobbin thread to now unwind around itself backwards potentially causing bobbin troubles the next time you start to sew.
                    Hence, the Anti-backlash spring puts a small amount of pressure against the side of the bobbin spool acting as a "brake" when the machine stops.
                    If you are going to be using pre-wound cardboard sided or sideless bobbins, it is not recommended to use this spring as it can potentially shave the side of the bobbin since it's made out of steel.
                    Here is a drawing of one being referred to as a "Check Spring" at the bottom of this web page. It's the image on the bottom left inside the red circle with the red line crossed through it indicating "No Check Springs".

https://www.bobbincentral.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=219

So, if your bobbin case doesn't have an Anti-Backlash spring inside of it, you will have to purchase a bobbin case from a supplier who doesn't remove them prior to selling them as Melco does. I don't know of any such suppliers at this time as I buy my bobbin cases from Melco.

Hoping this helps,

Ed Orantes
                    Melco Tech & Trainer
                    504-258-6260
                    -The Embroidery Authority-<br /><br />\"Turning your Problems into Production.\"<br />Ed Orantes<br />504-258-6260

Comment

Hi Carol,

Just make sure you use the bobbins that are used for the rotary hook bobbin case for the 9mm 730E, 200E, 180E or 1630 Bernina models. The other bobbins for the 5.5mm CB hook machines are not the L-Style you need for the Amaya XT. The Bernina gold-latch 9mm bobbin cases for the 730E, 200E and 180E with the pig tail will also work on the Amaya XT, but if you buy these from a Bernina dealer, they could charge around $60.00 for one bobbin case. I'd buy the $4.99 ones from Allstitch that I gave you a link to which look identical to the ones I got with the Amaya XT. Who knows, they are probably made by the same manufacturer.

Ed Orantes is very correct about the anti-backslash spring acting as a brake for metal bobbins, but my experience with "my" Amaya XT is that I can use the bobbin cases without the anti-backslash spring with my Bernina metal bobbins stitching at speeds of 1,400 spm. Perhaps with other non-Bernina bobbins, you will need a bobbin case with an anti-backslash spring. But your Amaya XT could be calibrated differently from mine, so do whatever works for you.

I use my Bernina 730E and/or 180E to wind my bobbins for the Amaya XT. As for your question to me about reusing and winding the cardboard bobbins--I wouldn't bother. They are so cheap and the cardboard deposits gunk into the bobbin case's tension plate which creates havoc on the bobbin tension giving you terrible stitch results which can be an expensive lesson depending on what you are embroidering on at the time the tension is screwed up. It has happened to me twice. I always peel off the cardboard of the bobbin side that rests inside the bobbin case to try to avoid this, leaving the other cardboard side facing outward when I use these bobbins.

Enjoy!
                      Ed Roux

Comment

So am I understanding correctly- I can take my bobbin case out of my Artista 730 Bernina and use the bobbin case with the Artista 730 bobbins in it.
                        I am not sure what a 730E is?

Comment

Yes the Bernina Artista 730E ("E" for embroidery...I see Bernina dropped the "E" designator) bobbins and pig-tail bobbin case can be used on the Amaya XT if you have to, but I recommend buying extra $4.99 bobbin cases from Allstitch http://www.allstitch.net/product/sta...yle-l-1719.cfm for the Amaya XT because you won't want to always have to adjust the bobbin tension over and over again if you use it in your Amaya XT and Bernina 730 interchangeably. But there is no problem using the Bernina bobbins in Amaya or Berninas.

Again, I would recommend getting extra $4.99 bobbin cases for each type of thread you want to use on the Amaya. Bobbin tension is so very picky on the Amaya and $4.99 is such a cheap price to pay to have a different bobbin case for each thread type. It is a small price to pay to avoid the aggravation involved to try to adjust the bobbin case for the proper tension. Just mark each bobbin case for the specific thread and use it just for that thread. I have 6 bobbin cases for the Amaya, including one only for the Magna-Glides http://www.allstitch.net/product/fil...white-1247.cfm which need their own tension setting.

If you haven't already, see my response to a thread about cotton thread http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ult...ic/2/1015.html which may be helpful too.

Ed Roux

Comment

I wanted to double check, will the bernina 730 bobbins work on the xts?
                            I have both & want to try making lace.
                            Thank you,
                            Joanie

QUOTE=The Embroidery Authority - OLD;12980]Allow me to clarify a little on this "Backlash Spring" topic,

Actually, it's referred to as an "Anti - Backlash Spring" and it can sometimes be inside of a bobbin case when you purchase it or sometimes not, depending on who you buy your bobbin cases from.
                            When you get a bobbin case from Melco, there is not such spring in their bobbin cases as Melco doesn't recommend the use of one with prewound cardboard sided bobbins.
                            So what is it, you ask?
                            As Ed said, it's a funny looking flat piece of thin steel that is in the shape of a "C" or crescent that clips inside the back wall of the bobbin case. I guess you could say that is has somewhat of a slight bow in it so that the side of this flat steel rubs against the side of the bobbin spool when sewing.
                            The purpose for this ANTI-Backlash spring is that when using, the metal bobbin spools (common when winding your own bobbins), and today's high speed embroidery/sewing machines, the metal bobbin spool will have the tendency to continue spinning a little even after the machine has stopped sewing (known as over spin or backlash) allowing the bobbin thread to now unwind around itself backwards potentially causing bobbin troubles the next time you start to sew.
                            Hence, the Anti-backlash spring puts a small amount of pressure against the side of the bobbin spool acting as a "brake" when the machine stops.
                            If you are going to be using pre-wound cardboard sided or sideless bobbins, it is not recommended to use this spring as it can potentially shave the side of the bobbin since it's made out of steel.
                            Here is a drawing of one being referred to as a "Check Spring" at the bottom of this web page. It's the image on the bottom left inside the red circle with the red line crossed through it indicating "No Check Springs".

https://www.bobbincentral.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=219

So, if your bobbin case doesn't have an Anti-Backlash spring inside of it, you will have to purchase a bobbin case from a supplier who doesn't remove them prior to selling them as Melco does. I don't know of any such suppliers at this time as I buy my bobbin cases from Melco.

Hoping this helps,

Ed Orantes
                            Melco Tech & Trainer
                            504-258-6260[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                            X