Hoop Tech vs. Melco Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoop Tech vs. Melco Setup

Hello everyone. The saga of my old Big Red continues.

It came with the old version of the cap driver, and no gauge. So I'm trying to decide what to do - I can keep the old cap driver and (hopefully) use it with a new Hoop Tech Gen 2 frame - cost is about $750. Or... I can spring for a whole new Melco red cap driver (which comes with 2 frames) and I'd need to purchase the Melco cap gauge separately - total cost would be about $1300. I'm checking to see if anybody has experience with both setups and if there are advantages of going one way or the other. Thanks!

Last edited by Luckynhguy; 10-04-2019, 05:08 PM.

I have recently sold my Amaya XT. I still have hooptech attachment and several frames. Would be glad to send you photo of what I have, will sell all for $350.
    I could not find my cap frame when selling the machine, but know it is here. I did find the long bar with the big screws part. I don't know which part is named which. I ended up having to purchase new cap attachment to sell with the machine, so old one is still here. Do you need both parts? I am going to be sorting out all the sewing room stuff this week, so should be able to find. When found will be very reasonably priced.
    Let me know if you are interested.
    By the way, I sold my XT cause now I am 76, have some medical stuff necessitating lower altitude (Tucson), and not taking it with me.
    I also have some Melco frames, lots of Organ brand needles, Tension gauge, lots of assorted Floriani backing and threads and about a zillion designs. All are for sale. I live in south central Colorado, about 36 miles north of New Mexico border.
    Jean Reid
    Have an extenive

Comment

Question for Lucky Guy: Can a new cap driver (the red one) be used with an original Melco Amaya Big Red? I thought drivers were geared to the machines they were made for. Then again...my only up grade has been from a Big Red to an XT.

Comment

Jean -- if you don't hear back from Lucky Guy, I am interested in your HoopTech gauge and frames, and the Organ needles. Lucky Guy first though.

Comment

Lucky Guy not interested in other items. Only interchangability of drivers on Big Red

Originally posted by Judy View Post
          Jean -- if you don't hear back from Lucky Guy, I am interested in your HoopTech gauge and frames, and the Organ needles. Lucky Guy first though.
          How do we contact each other re sale items? (Haven't done before)

Comment

You can email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Jean - I just sent you a private message. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Judy - I'm not really sure. The only thing that leads me to believe they are compatible is that Melco isn't offering any other cap drivers other than the red one. If it wasn't compatible with older machines, I would think Melco would offer one that was. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what's what.

Comment

I think that using a cap driver that did not come set up for your machine is more complicated than just attaching it to the machine. I had a wide-angle cap driver that I was willing to practically give away in 2010; nobody wanted it, so I eventually threw it away. I remember that in order to find out about compatibility, the machine serial number was required. I also remember that some type of calibration was also required if the driver did not come with the machine. Here is a link to a thread where we talked about compatibility:

This link is to the Amaya Operator's Manual's. You can navigate from this page to "Installing or Removing the Wide Angle Cap Driver" or "Adjusting the Wide Angle Cap driver."

Comment

Hi Mama Kass!
                    So the driver I currently have did in fact come with the machine. I also have a cap frame. What I do not have is the matching cap gauge. Melco no longer sells the cap gauge that goes with my old driver. So if I wanted to buy the new Melco gauge, I’d also need the new red cap driver. And it seems like what you are saying is that the new red cap driver will not work with an oldBig Red Amaya machine. Again, I’m going to call Melco tomorrow and see exactly what my options are. But it’s looking more and more like I will have to go with Hoop Tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use the same CCF's with my XT as I did with my Big Red. I say this because I have an extra cap gauge that works with the older drivers. If you'd like to purchase it, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Judy View Post
                        I use the same CCF's with my XT as I did with my Big Red. I say this because I have an extra cap gauge that works with the older drivers. If you'd like to purchase it, please let me know.
                        Thanks, Judy - I’ll definitely let you know. Sounds like you have the one piece to the puzzle that I need. Still curious if anybody has opinions on which frame/gauge setup is better - Hooptech or Melco.

Comment

When we bought our oringal Amaya from melco - we got a Hooptech T Bar Framing Guage. It works perfectly fine with our CCF and WACF frames along with our specialty cap back frame. We also ordered more frames from Hooptech. They were back then the exact same as Melco's and worked just as the stuff we got with the machine.

Never had a problem. Go ahead and order direct... https://www.hooptechproducts.com/cap-frames/

You can call them to make sure the "Gen 2" is backwards compatible but I'm sure it is.
                          John Yaglenski
                          Amayausers.com - Webmaster
                          Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Hi John - I called Melco today and you are absolutely right. At least the guy I spoke with thinks 60%. New Melco cap hoops are compatible with older model drivers. He did say he was sure that the new red cap driver was NOT compatible with older machines, such as my Big Red.

He also said he was pretty sure the Hoop Tech hoops would also work with the old driver that I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckynhguy View Post
                              Hi John - I called Melco today and you are absolutely right. At least the guy I spoke with thinks 60%. New Melco cap hoops are compatible with older model drivers. He did say he was sure that the new red cap driver was NOT compatible with older machines, such as my Big Red.

He also said he was pretty sure the Hoop Tech hoops would also work with the old driver that I have.

Yep. I’ll go further and say 99% chance they work. Half of our hoops are HoopTech. You should be good to go.

Melco is trying to shy away from commenting on new products working on old machines. They really want you to upgrade. Problem is, they built the Amayas to last. Despite a few issues here and there - our original reds are going strong. And many of parts were/are pretty interchangeable with XT/XTS machines.
                              John Yaglenski
                              Amayausers.com - Webmaster
                              Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

Working...
                              X