Thread fraying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread fraying

I have a Big Red. What is the most common reason for the thread fraying just above the needle? Thank you in advance!!!!

Deb

PS This most often happens with designs Ihave had digitized. Rarely with purchased designs.
    Debbie in Arizona

There are many reasons, but since you mentioned that it mainly happened on designs that you digitized, my guess would be that your densities are very high. If you do a 'thread fraying' search on this site, you'll see some of the other reasons and then might be able to give us the kind information that will help with an answer.

Comment

So, here we are again; Debbie replied to me privately, but I am moving this back here so that she has access to everyone's wisdom. This is what she added to her info:
      "My message on the Board was not as clear as it should have been. I meant to say it seems to be only happening on designs I have had professionally digitized rather than purchased designs.
      The thread is fraying and breaking on all needles--Just above the needles. I use a highly acclaimed digitizer but he doesn't actually do sewouts I found. I have: Replaced the needles and checked their orientation, Checked pressure foot height, rehtreasded all the needles and checked their path, Cleaned bobbin case and everything else I can thinkl of. HELP!"

In my experience, this kind of fraying thread break usually occurs because something is causing the fibers of the thread to separate and individually break as the sewing proceeds; this causes the pile-up of threads behind the needle eye and finally ends with a complete break. This could be caused by improper needle position or burrs on your needle, on the needle plate, or on your thread hook, but since it happens on all your needles and you do have some designs that sew out without this happening I am still suspecting density issues. One way to find out is to embroider an AMPASS test design. I have provided a link with how to do this posted by Rod Springer, my goto guy for answers; it's on the second page of the link. Let us know what you find.

Comment

Let’s just say, it’s not the digitizing. I talked to Debbie too and have no issues using the same company. Literally have run about 100 designs in the past couple months and rarely have any issues and none like described.

Rotary hook burr is also a possibility though a long shot. We learned about it in tech class many moons ago and I actually had it happen on one of my machines. An ultra fine grit sandpaper and about 3-4 back and forth passes solved the issue.

I also walked her thru resetting the machine, settings and reloading the rsa/csa files. Not sure if she did all the things I suggested yet.

AMPASS is ok for general diagnosis but honestly, I’ve heard it referred to as Designed to Pass

How about needle depth?

Is the thread sensor working properly? Producing a heartbeat?

Honestly, it may be time to call a tech if everything has been tried.
        John Yaglenski
        Amayausers.com - Webmaster
        Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

My #1 culprit -- if thread above is having issues, the bobbin is the problem.

Clean.

Check for a broken bit of needle somewhere.

Replace bobbin case.

Comment

Debbie, now you know why I moved the question back to the board...so much more knowledge here than I could ever hope to have. What I can't figure out is why you are not having this issue with other designs. Have you changed anything at all (fabric, backing, hooping technique, thread brand) that might otherwise account for this? It seems as though it would happen on all your designs if it was a machine problem. It also wouldn't hurt to do all the maintenance checks that Rod specified in the link, even if you don't want to try the AMPASS.

Comment

I am currently having the same issues
              I have a tech coming out on Saturday to look at the machines.

This is happening with my XT's only, my red amaya is sewing perfectly.
              I think it has to do with the knives (which I changed) maybe a bad batch from melco.
              I will see on saturday.

Comment

Working...
              X