Crazy Topping Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Topping Question

We primarily sew baseball style hats. We recently added some performance/polyester hats that have mesh type holes (think of basketball shorts fabric). We are having an issue with the stitches falling into the holes and seeing "hat" through some of the stitches (particularly designs in an oval shape and rectangle shape that have alot of fill stitches). The hats are almost always navy or black. We use solvy and it works fair. We had the bright idea to try putting a piece of 2.5 oz. backing underneath the design when we tested white thread for the fill stitches. It worked great! No hat showed through - very nice design. BUT - this does not work for the designs with other colors - red, royal blue, etc. You can see the white through. Even black didn't work for some colors.

Does anyone know of a tear away type of stabilizer or something similar that is offered in colors that might be able to be used for the purpose?

What about putting a non- tear-away under. If you used black, even with the navy, it should camouflage it well enough. So sandwich reg hat tearaway then the non-tearwaway then the hat. The stitches will be stablized by the backing and the backing will match the hat. I don't know why us embroiderers obsess so over a little ground showing. Customers rarely even see it. I even digitize so the background shows a little and absolutely no customer (I'm not counting my husband who does obsess over it) has ever even mentioned it. They see that the way it is, is the way it is. Period.
    Or how about a patch that you heat press on?
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

What about trying a light density cross hatch fill behind the design like one might use on fleece to help even out the playing field so to speak. We embroidery those types of hats as well and have not had problems. Most hats don't require a ton of underlay, but those need a bit more to compensate for the mesh style.

Comment

Working...
      X