Names - How to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Names - How to?

Ok, this is a "was I dreaming moment" but I swore at some point there was a way to have a plain text, line break delimited OR spreadsheet of names and have it auto feed into either AOS or Design Shop?

We have a large order with names, and it would certainly be nice to be able to feed them in as we go - but maybe it's more trouble than it's worth or it never existed

Right now, just setting up the font, size and underlay parameters once, then changing the name and saving it out to a "names" folder.

So - was I dreaming???
    John Yaglenski
    Amayausers.com - Webmaster
    Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

No, there is a functio9n like that. Can't recall how you do it, bu it involves listing the names down in a row in NoteBook, then importing it in. The names will pop up in the order of the list and yiou can NOT see which name is next. For that reason, I just don't like it. You can also digitize the names one on top of another, but in different colors. Then put a stop in the OS for every color. But, the same thing, you really can't see what is next. That makes me VERY nervous!
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

However, if this is something you are going to be doing with your big new customer, it just may be worth it to try and learn to do it that way. You have to be absolutely sure that your shirts are lined up exactly like your list. Well, have fun!
      Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Group Names

This is a very nice feature that I have used a few times. You need to save your names in a text file, each name on its own line. In DS, setup a name (font, size, etc.). Select it and open up the properties. Choose group names (you may have to look for it as it has moved in the different versions of DS). The group names box has a button to allow importing (or you can add the names separately). The panel on the right lists your names; any names you want to use have to be moved over to the panel on the left. Depending on the font you use, you may have to select each name to do any fine-tuning. There is a pull down menu to choose the overall output (Design,Name or just name, etc.). I have only used the Design/Name or name only. One thing I usually do rather than use the pause command between names is have the name a color on the thread tree that is not threaded (usually next to the color I do want the color to be). Then if for some reason the machine skips the pause, I'll hear the needle change and/or I'll get a thread break notification.

Hopefully that gives you some information and encouragement. Try it with a small run. It certainly saves a load of time.

Oh, and if you're concerned about matching names and sizes; I make a separate file for each size.

Dorothy
        Dorothy Compton, Owner<br />Bee Embroidered<br /><a href=\"http://www.BeeEmbroidered.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.BeeEmbroidered.com</a><br />(916) 635-7467

Comment

Clarification: when I have the name using a color not threaded, I have to manually stop the machine (or it will stop with a thread break), load the new shirt (back up if necessary), change the needle to the correct color and then go. Hope this makes sense. Call me if you need clarification.

Dorothy
          Dorothy Compton, Owner<br />Bee Embroidered<br /><a href=\"http://www.BeeEmbroidered.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.BeeEmbroidered.com</a><br />(916) 635-7467

Comment

HA HA!!!

I knew it existed. I don't know why but I couldn't find it.

In DS9 and DS10 - select the name, right click properties and boom - there it is - LETTERS > GROUP NAMES. Looks like you can even have it save to separate files for each name... totally going to play with this!

Sweet! Thanks Dorothy!
            John Yaglenski
            Amayausers.com - Webmaster
            Levelbest Embroidery - Owner

Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website! http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

Comment

from the manual:
              Group Names has two lists of names associated with it. The first is the available names. For example, this
              might be populated with a list of all the players on a sports team. The available names is the list from
              which the selected names are pulled.
              The second list is the selected names. This is a subset of the available names. It may be used to aid production.
              For example, you may choose to select all of the team members who where a medium sized
              shirt. This would allow to you produce all of one size at a time and help prevent mix-ups.
              To populate the Available Names list, use one of the following methods:
              • Manually Add the names
              1. Type the names in the field just below the Available Names list and click Add after every name
              or separate the names with commas (John Smith, Rose, Jack Jones). Be careful to avoid typos.
              • Copy and Paste the names from a text document.
              1. Select the names in an e-mail or word processing document.
              2. Copy the names to the clipboard of the computer (CTRL+C usually works with most software programs)
              3. Click the Paste button below the available names list to paste the names from the clipboard
              into the list.
              • Import the names from a .TXT file.
              1. If you have a .TXT file of the names, you can import the file using the import button below the
              available names list.
              Format of the Names
              When populating the list, the format of the names matters.
              • First Names: The first names listed will be considered the first name of the person when selecting
              the names in the selected name list.
              • Last Names: Any words after the first space will be considered the last name of the person.
              • Dual Names: For first names that have two names, separate them with and underscore. The underscore
              will be turned to a space with the stitch files are generated, but it will keep the names
              together. For example, Sarah_Jane, Mary_Jo, and Mary_Beth.
              [email protected]
              Jerome in Minnesota
              (320)259-1151

Comment

Working...
              X