Quantcast I've had it with the Cap Frame!

news

discussion boards mailing list tips / tricks / forms designs suppliers find a shop marketplace
News
  archives

Discussion
  main menu

Suppliers
  apparel

hats

thread
  backing
  hoops / hooping
  stock designs

Tips & Tricks
  main menu

Mailing List

my account

Amaya Shops
  locate a shop

Marketplace
  shop for supplies

Resources
  official Melco site
  online resources

Help Support This Site:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry I've had it with the Cap Frame!

I have tried and tried to use this cap frame on my XT since 2008. My designs usually sew crooked on the cap and/or it slips while sewing and the registration gets thrown off. I'm sure it's user error and partly (in my opinion) a bad engineering design. I have watched the video posted on this site for help.
    I'm close to turning away cap business, it's not worth this stress!

Don't know what else to do, thanks for letting me vent!

Tricia
    Tricia
    Sharp Threads
    Almont, MI

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using the wide angle cap frame -- with those wires with teeth to hold it in place? If you are, easiest solution is to order the conventional cap frame from ShopMelco.com SO MUCH EASIER. Granted, only an area on the front, but it makes life easy.

Judy

3. Likes John Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    I have tried and tried to use this cap frame on my XT since 2008. My designs usually sew crooked on the cap and/or it slips while sewing and the registration gets thrown off. I'm sure it's user error and partly (in my opinion) a bad engineering design. I have watched the video posted on this site for help.
    I'm close to turning away cap business, it's not worth this stress!

Don't know what else to do, thanks for letting me vent!

Tricia
    Tricia:

Herb - the zen master of hats will tell all.

Go to the tips/tricks section of this site and watch the hooping video again, and again.

Hats are able to be done and done well with the Amaya. I just ran 72+ pieces the other day with ZERO thread breaks, small lettering and a decent amount of details.

The keys in short...

1) Hoop the hat correctly. Seriously. Get the caps as flat to the frame as possible and have a tight sewing surface. Use backing. Rub the front of the hat. Clamp it tight.

2) Design for caps. Bottom up, inside out. Get an expert to digitize for you. Quite frankly, most folks should outsource their digitizing anyway if they care about productivity and quality. Most people don't know how to digitize well - and it leads to a LOT of problems on flats and caps.

3) No bigger than 2 inches tall - give or take. You can get about .5 inches from the brim and you can take your designs to a max of about 2 - 2.25 inches but I wouldn't go bigger.

4) Sew at 850-900 spm - slow the machine down a bit.

5) Presser foot all the way down or one click up. We also stopped using the raised needle plate but that's a personal decision. Make sure your bobbin tension is correct.

Reality is most mistakes are 1 or 2. Crooked or slipping is hooping.

I'm assuming you have the WACF. I struggled with them too. Herb showed me the way. I got better at it. Suggest you buy a dozen cheapo hats and practice. It's well worth.

When all else fails, do what we did and get the CCF frames instead. The WACF (wide angle hoops) that Herb shows in the video are great but the reality is, the CCF (conventional cap frame) is good for 99% of what we do and is quicker and easier to hoop.

Bottom line, I guarantee if I came buy, I could sew a great cap on your machine.

Pictured below is the EMS Hooptech 270 - CCF. It's what we use on our original RED Amaya's

largecap.jpg

http://hooptechproducts.com/t/capframe-original
    John Yaglenski
    Amayausers.com - Webmaster
    Levelbest Embroidery - Owner
    Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website!
    http://www.levelbestembroidery.com

5. Thanks chels2 Thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While we are talking frames, anyone tried the "Dream Frame"?

http://hooptechproducts.com/t/capframes-dreamframe
    John Yaglenski
    Living the life on Hilton Head Island, SC and serving the world via our website!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John

That was an excellent explanation on how to do a cap design. I inquired about the price on the dream frame and I can see why they call it a dream frame. Seemed a little pricey to me.

Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda H View Post
    Hi John

That was an excellent explanation on how to do a cap design. I inquired about the price on the dream frame and I can see why they call it a dream frame. Seemed a little pricey to me.

Linda
    Thanks ��

What was the price of the frame. Now you have me curious!
    John Yaglenski
    Maryland, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay

You better be sitting down for this
    1 Frame is $349.95 and if you would like the Gauge to use to hoop it on it is another $399.95.
    It's a dream alright... In my opinion an expensive one I would rather spend the money on some Mighty Hoops to do my Carhardt jackets with.

Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good Benjamin more than a standard cap frame. Yikes!
    John Yaglenski
    Maryland, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania

Post Thanks / Like
    John;

"Bottom line, I guarantee if I came buy, I could sew a great cap on your machine."

LOL, I'm sure you could. I have the WACF with the teeth. I line them up in the crease of the hat but the design seems higher on the opposite side of the clamp. So the cap is hooping closer on that side. Thank you for the link, I had no idea there were other frames that could fit my machine.

I have some misc free hats that I will practice on before each design, thanks for all of the tips everyone!

Tricia
    Tricia
    Sharp Threads
    Almont, MI

12. Likes John Liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will the EMS Hooptech 270 - CCF. work on Amaya Xt's? Is an additional purchase of a new frame driver required as well as a frame gauge? I also am tired of issues with caps, particularly Flexfit and New Era. I also have the same issue with designs sewing crooked and I know it is partly due to the fact these caps have the bills sewn on crooked. All you have to do is look at them straight on and you can see how lopsided they are. So if I can spend a few $$ and make my life easier, with less waste on damaged caps, I am willing to do so.

Cindy from Phoenix where we are melting