Thread Grabber/Cutter -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread Grabber/Cutter -

This is my very first post and I think it's an easy issue. Hopefully someone can give some advice.

I have an Amaya (red). Can a grabber/thread cutter be sharpened? The grabber randomly does not cut the thread at a color change. The grabber goes back to cut, but the thread doesn't cut. I can sew the same design over and over and successful cuts on the previous sew, don't cut on the next and visa versa.

I find that I'm standing watching each sew out because I may need to cut the threads instead of hooping for the next job. This really wastes a lot of time, not to mention my poor feet!

Thanks so much, Tina

The "grabber blade" does not cut the thread. It merely pushes the cut thread back into the grabber trap. The thread is cut by a knife that swipes underneath the needle plate.

When was the last time you cleaned and lubricated this selector/cutter assembly? It may be that it is all jammed up with lint or some other debris.

It may be that the pushrod is off and not pushing and pulling the lower knife back and forth. It may be that the stepper motor that drives this system has gone kaput....

It may be that a tech will be needed...

Rod Springer
    Amaya tech & Trainer
    Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

You can do a swipe test to see if your knife is positioned and moving past the rest of the cutter assembly in the way that it should be. My Amaya computer is asleep right now, but you should be able to find the instructions for this in your Operator's Manual in OS. My knife has needed replacing for a long time, but I understand it is no easy task so I just to digitize to minimize trims - which is a good idea anyway.

Comment

Thanks so very much for the teaching session and tips for what to try. I can almost see each of you as you read my post, shaking your heads and getting a good chuckle from my very juvenile thought process in that the grabber was actually the cutter too. I'm laughing myself now that I know, but I'm so glad I asked the question. My machine was serviced in February by a tech, and I have no idea if he cleaned and lubricated that area. Will the instructions for this task also be in the OS manual? I will also perform a cutter test as suggested. Like any good student, I'll be sure to report back on my progress. Thanks again, Tina

Comment

If you have the time, go to your Operator's Manual by clicking on Help. There you will find a wealth of information; if you're the manual-reader type it wouldn't hurt to at least skim thru all the maintenance procedures listed so that you become more familiar with your machine. There is also a trouble-shooting section here if you experience a problem. Also, as everyone on this site will tell you, don't wait for your pop-up timers to tell you to lubricate your machine. Many of us lubricate the rotary hook at the start of the day or any big project (very easy to do). I also check my timers before any big project and do any procedures that are even half way to their recommended time. It's a good idea to run through these lubrication procedures if your machine has been sitting unused for a while.

Comment

I am not a daily embroidery and currently it's a very expensive hobby until I am able to get my bearings about me. I do sell some of my wares, but it is pretty far removed from being a business yet. So with that being said, I do oil the bobbin every time the machine is cranked on. But since the machine is not used but possibly 10 to 15 hours a week, how often would you say I need to lubricate its parts? Is there such a thing as over doing it? Also, I did clean out the dust and fiber built up under the needle plate and the thread trimmers have not missed a cut since.

Comment

I tend to use my machine in intensive bursts of 100's of thousands of stitches and then I don't use it again for a while. I am in a very dry climate so I am concerned about stuff drying up. Here's how I approach it: Before beginning a big job, I take a look at the grease on the thread feed and pinch rollers. If it's been a while since I've used the machine, I'll put a drop of oil on each needle bar; you can over-oil these so that the little pads at the bottom get saturated and oil runs down where you don't want it. You can also over-oil the in the little channel that leads to the reciprocator guide etc. causing oil to over-saturate the felt pads and to run down onto the underside of the machine behind the grabber bar. I tend to do this last lube procedure more often than called for but with only 10 drops of oil. In general, I'd say you can't over-grease unless you make a big mess and get it on parts where you don't want it. I keep a list that tells me when I did which procedures, then I know both time elapsed and stitch count. I just check my timers occasionally to see how many stitches into a cycle I am and then use my judgement. I know it's pretty vague, but that's what I do and Red is 10 years old with only one service call - prayers and all the generous folks on this site help, too.

Comment

Thank you so much for your time and advice. This site is a great resource.

Comment

Working...
                X