Hoopers and hooping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoopers and hooping

I made my own Hooper out of 2 nylon cutting boards with a cross hair laser. It works very well. I can change the type and/or size of hoop by changing (making) a new top and bottom bracket to hold the hoop in place. To mark the center of a design on a shirt, I use a leftover peice of carrier mylar (plastic with sticky - I have tons of this stuff!), draw a cross on it and stick that on the shirt. Then I line up the laser to my marker and slap on the top of the hoop. PERFECTLY lined up.

Juli in Kona
    Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Juli, you have had great ideas before and this may very well be something I can use, but I just don't get it. Any chance of pictures or a video? ...in your spare time , of course.

Comment

Ditto Juli, would LOVE to see some pics! I'm a rookie and can't follow your description

Comment

Juli, I think I understand what you mean. I do a lot of rhinestone work, and carrier tape would be perfect for this! I will try that when my machine gets delivered next week...

Comment

Originally posted by Mama Kass View Post
          Juli, you have had great ideas before and this may very well be something I can use, but I just don't get it. Any chance of pictures or a video? ...in your spare time , of course.
          Did you ever figure this out? The concept is simple. Essentially, you want the center of the cross-hair laser to be in the center of the hoop. Then you mark the center of the design on the material, lay the material on the bottom hoop, lining up your mark with the laser and put on the top of the hoop.
          Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll just continue what I have been doing: digitizing alignment marks along the edge of each design, then digitizing the alignment marks on the next design in the series so that I can line things up for the next hooping. Both Julie and I have posted about this before, but I had hoped that the Mighty Hoops might be easier to work with--doesn't sound like they are. Julie, I understand your technique, mentioned above, but it doesn't work so well for our designs because they are fairly complex designs with vines etc. that must be matched along the edges as the hoops are embroidered in series. Matching one point isn't accurate enough.

Comment

Working...
            X