Quantcast Big patches

news

discussion boards mailing list tips / tricks / forms designs suppliers find a shop marketplace
News
  archives

Discussion
  main menu

Suppliers
  apparel

hats

thread
  backing
  hoops / hooping
  stock designs

Tips & Tricks
  main menu

Mailing List

my account

Amaya Shops
  locate a shop

Marketplace
  shop for supplies

Resources
  official Melco site
  online resources

Help Support This Site:

Thread: Big patches

Post Thanks / Like

Question Big patches

I am trying to embroider a 10 inch design on a piece of Visqueen plastic but as it embroiders it pulls in and either the plastic tears and the embroider falls through or the frame pops open. Any ideas? If I clamp the frame it will not pop open but the plastic will still pull in and the plastic will tear. Has anyone used anything else besides 6 MIL Visqueen plastic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Plastic loves to tear. I would make the patch independently and sew it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you mean make the patch independently? I am embroidering it on the plastic, pop it out of the plastic and then going to sew it onto the back of jackets.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would use two layers of heavy wash away, or tear away. For my clubs, I sew it onto felt. Felt doesn't ravel, holds a pretty decent stitch count, and you can leave a good border around it to sew. If you don't want to leave a border, it trims close and neat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Thank you so so very much. I will try that and let you know what happens

Post Thanks / Like
    Judy! Thank you so so much! That worked! Now I can get these patches done!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm actually just doing patches now, and while I had SOME luck using Ultra Solvy, the gal at the embroidery supply shop hipped me to Floriani Wet-N-Gone. The ultra solvy had the issue of cutting away from the backing on the dense satin border, but the floriani stuff acts like fabric, but washes away the same as solvy. Super cool stuff, and it's saved me a TON of time on these things. Only downside is that you need to lay down a pretty dense weave underlay in order to hold everything in place after it all washes away.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never seen the Floriani product, is it like Aqua magic?
    Etched In Thread
    Preserving Your Memories in Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Never used the Aqua Magic, but looking at it on the Husqvarna site, it sounds like just about the same exact thing. I'd been doing patches on all kinds of different things, and then cutting them out and doing them like applique, and now that I'm using this stuff, I've been able to cut my pricing by 1/4, just 'cause the cutting and other hand finishing is almost entirely eliminated. Just gotta let 'em dry flat, really. Plus, since it does the whole patch in one go and you don't have to worry about doing it like an applique, the registration is always perfect and I don't lose any patches to misalignment.

Downside: This method really only works for 100% embroidered patches... but we like that look anyway, so no real harm. And if your base layer isn't tight enough, the patches CAN seem a little flimsy - but the stabilizer dries in there, which makes the patch seem nice and stiff after the fact.

(Sorry - patches on the brain right now, as we're cranking out about 500 of 'em for kickstarter rewards, so it's all I've been doing for the past 2 weeks.)