Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amaya XT not trimming 90% of the time

Hello all,
    After reading various threads regarding "not trimming" and speaking with many a service tech at Melco, I'm reaching out to the group. (I can not get my local tech to come look at my machine, it's not his full-time job). I
    've done the following checks....removed needle plate, and checked housing, knife carrier, removed extrusion cover and checked push/pull cables, oiled trimmer. Removed back plate, adjusted the selector and knife positioning according to photos in manual. Looks good.....except, my cables are bent to attach to the eccentric. Emailed photo to a tech, he said to replace cables, however, the way they attach, the cables would have to bend. My machine does not look like the machine in the manual photo. Was there a design change at some point? The trimming is just so dang unpredictable! Also, if it does trim, it leaves a short stub of thread coming from the bobbin pig tail and then doesn't pick it up so then is miss-starts. I have the tail length set to "Long". Thanks in advance, welcome any thoughts. Photo attached, home position pictured.
    Tricia
    Almont, Mich
    Attached Files
    Tricia
    Sharp Threads
    Almont, MI

Hopefully Rod or someone will jump in here; the only info I can give is that the tail length refers to length of the threads that remain on the reverse of the fabric after a thread cut not to what is left coming out of the bobbin.

Comment

Have you been using spray glue?
      Juli in Kona<br />Stitches in Paradise

Comment

Tricia,
        The picture explains it all. Your machine is definitely an XT. The new XTS machines have a different style of trimmer called the ACAT. It operates differently than a standard XT trimmer.

The wire/pushrods are severely bent and your trimmer will not function properly with the wires bent as the picture shows. They must be straight! You might try to straighten these but this amount of bending will fatigue the wires and they will be prone to bend easier in this area than before....hence Melco saying, replace them.

It would be difficult to explain the complete process, short of writing a book, of replacing these wire pushrods and the final adjustment of the selector and trimmer/knife positions.

The fact that you adjusted the knife and selector positioning with the wire in this bent condition simply means that the pushrods are continuing to flex even more. This probably means that the selector and trimmer are not being allowed to move fully throughout their required stroke, thereby the selector not picking up the bobbin and top thread and pulling it back underneath the under thread presser spring and hold it so the knife can now fire and cut the bobbin and top thread......but, the knife cannot do it's job because of the wires flexing in the bent area....vicious circle.

You do need to replace these pushrods as they are severely bent....as I said they must be straight.

In the Tech manual, be sure you are referencing the XT machine and not the XTS version. Follow the instructions in the replacement of these items very closely. Usually just saying , well, that is close enough, referring to the final adjustment will not be successful. It must be done correctly or the trimmer will not operate correctly.

The root cause of this condition? Usually lack of lubrication and/or debris building up in the trimmer area. These things need to be cleaned and lubricated on a more regular basis than what the timers will tell you to do. Do not be afraid to use more oil than what the pop-up timer says to use..

Hope all of this helps..

Rod Springer
        Amaya Tech & Trainer
        Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Thanks Rod! So glad you were able to read my post. I will order the push/pull cable/rods and be sure to follow the XT installation instructions. It's actually been trimming more than not but I realize they need replacement regardless. I'll oil the trimmer more often now as well.

Is the short tail length of the "bobbin pig tail" thread the result of the Tail length being set to LONG and actually referring to the length of the tail on the underside of the embroidery (as mentioned above)? Or is it possibly due to the trimmer malfunctioning?

Thank you so much!
          Tricia
          Tricia
          Sharp Threads
          Almont, MI

Comment

Tricia,

The short tail on the bobbin pigtail you mentioned is a direct result of the knife/selector not functioning properly. It is why you must pay very close attention to setting the adjustment of these items. The short bobbin has to do with the selector not picking up the bobbin thread on its firing stroke and retracting empty handed. The knife then fires and cuts the bobbin thread off at the top of the bobbin case.

Rod Springer
            Amaya Tech & Trainer
            Certified tech & trainer<br />208-898-4117

Comment

Thanks again Rod!!

Tricia
              Tricia
              Sharp Threads
              Almont, MI

Comment

I want to Thank Rod Springer again for his advice. I ordered and installed the Push/Pull Cables for my XT. It is now trimming and I'm also not having any miss-starts due to short bobbin thread! Rod was correct, both cables were bent---WHAT A GENIUS! Thanks again!
                Tricia
                Sharp Threads
                Almont, MI

Comment

So, my trimmer is acting up again. Upon inspecting the knife, I've noticed that the cable for the knife is not aligned up and through the hole in the back of the knife. I have removed the back of the machine in order to inspect the cables and at least they are both straight in the back however, after I remove the knife cable and reinsert, it will not go in straight up and down. It always want to sit on an angle, it'll never go up through that hole. Do I have to order a new cable again? Of course I'm in the middle of a job....
                  Tricia
                  Sharp Threads
                  Almont, MI

Comment

Push Pull Cable Replacement

We are trying to replace the push-pull cable along with the selector cable. Does anyone have a picture of what these cables should look like under the extrusion cover. Ours tend to lean a little to the right. We are still having issues with a clean thread cut and thread popping out. We have Amaya XT. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                    X